Madagascar hisser self sustaining habitat

Notureverydaytech

Arachnopeon
I acquired some hissers from our entomologist at work (1Male 2 females) I quickly discovered how fast their population grows. Now my larger terrarium is split into two distinct social groups. Working full time it is hard to get time to properly clean the terrarium and I was wondering if there were and semi/fully self sustaining habitats for them.

Attachments

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I ordered mine on Amazon but alot of sites have them. I think bugs in cyberspace might have them too. Maybe cape cod roaches

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Someone on here, somewhere, made a bioactive setup for their dubia roaches with springtails and plants. I don't recall if they used isopods as well.
But isopods/springtails ate the roach poop/leftover food, and the plants would eat the springtail/isopod poop.

I also do this with my roaches by using springtails and pothos plants. My roaches are much, much smaller and softer than hissers so I don't use isopods.

Disclaimer: If you wanted to try this, I have no idea if hissers would eat the plants.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I know my cave roaches started to drop some huge logs if you get what I mean. I wasn't sure if isopods ate poop but I don't see any logs piling up anymore so something is working

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Any recommendations on what type of isopod
I just ordered the first regular/cheapest ones available on Amazon. Not sure what species they are. I know you can buy some fancy ones. Im pretty sure any would work but I am not an expert on the designer breeds

davehuth

Arachnoknight
isopods exert a surprising amount of force on an enclosed ecosystem. Adult hissers should be ok with most isopod species, but they can pose a threat to smalerl roaches, especially when molting. Their numbers can also grow quickly and they'll help themselves to the roaches' food as well. I have small populations of some of the less protein hungry isopods in with large mature hissers, but for everything else I use springtails.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
You should turn the egg cartons vertical. The poo will collect and start to react with the dog kibble in there and you'll get a nice ammonia scent. Like others have said springtails(probably temperate) and isopods. If they don't manage the populations waste then add and control a buffalo beetle group. They are coprophages as well as mold and leftovers foragers.