Madagascan scorps

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Has anyone seen a C.gracilis from Central America? It wouldn't surprise me at all if the species has a great deal of variation by location? That being said, I've read a description for the CA C.gracilis and nothing struck me as being different from the FL population.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually,

If the chela is measured in distance across, it is about the correct amount in comparison to length as the C. gracilis photos I have. Also, given the length of the chela and divided into the length of the chela fingers, it's about right on the money to the C. gracilis pics as well. Then again, they also say a picture adds 10 lbs. If it adds 10 lbs to a person, it also adds some size to a scorpion by other means as well.
Indeed, locale may be a varying factor on this species, though I have no species with this trait.

Elaboration on what I said as reply to your post, Dave. I have no scorpions which I have seen with this trait, including any of my current or past specimen.

adios,
edw.

=D

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
Indeed, locale may be a varying factor on this species, though I have no species with this trait.
Better wait until the Hottentotta debate is settled once and for all before saying that. :)

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I`ve also noticed the little thorn like prick under the stinger, and i mentioned it earlier to tom, on my new C. Gracillis`s.This is why i beleive it is deffinetly Gracillis . Those Guys you got are still a little small eh ,,2-3" Just like the ones i aquired a week ago. And the long tail segments in the males dont show yet, Like they normally do in in Centruroides. just like mine ,But my female is Huge ,and i mean beluga size in her belly. I`m not sure if she`s pregnant. The thing is that in a reply i got earlier, somebody told me the don`t breed untill there full grown,So im lost.But man she`s pretty aggresive and is killing evrything i put in the tank(crickets, spiders) I`m afraid to put the male in just yet.But for Sure I beleive those to be C. Gracillis!!!!!!

Thanx
mat

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
Sorry to dig up old posts, but I'm new on here and working my way slowly through the whole set of posts (By the way, as a side note, do any of you "old timers" ever go back and look at the old posts? There really seems to be an obvious feeling of "growth" when you do).

Anyway, the first pics in this thread are definitely of Florida C. gracilis. The collection info must have gotten switched. Even when I saw just the first washed-out pic, I immediately recognized it. I wouldn't be able to tell the individuals in that second pic apart from several that I have in my communal set-up right now. The coloration is an exact match. This is a very common color morph for this species in Northern Broward/Southern Palm Beach counties. It sounds like everyone came to basically this same conclusion, but that there was still a little uncertainty. So, just in case anyone might still care, these are undoubtedly C. gracilis, and exactly like the ones found down here in South Florida (from where they apparently came).

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Couldn't agree more. To put the nail in the coffin of the Grosphus debate, Grosphus sp. do not, as far as I know, have sub. spines. The sp. got mixed up, those are C. gracilis from FL.

Chris