Macrothele gigas

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wouw, I've been hunting for these and now I must find them! Very nice photos. :clap:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are not from ur region, M.gigas can be only found in southern Japanese islands and Taiwan

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
great pics

incredible thread with awesome photos.love to have a macrothele also.i would assume their care is similiar to a linothele?which i have never seen burrow and make such sweet webbing.wish there were more macro's here(in the states),with so many dedicated hobbyists in the recent years maybe they will be offered more.keep up with all the great pics.
jealous
andy

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,
Macrothele care is competely different from Linothele...
All my Macrothele sp. burrowed (except one species from Laos!), Linothele megatheloides haven´t done that so far. Harmonicon sp. can be compared to Macrothele... at least in my opinion.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
okay

well you would know considering you have both.webbing looks similiar.guess not a good measure.i love the dipluridae site.wish i had one of each.
andy

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
u can buy Macrothele raveni(possivbly the black one angus posted) easily in china though, unfortunately they are all WC, and i'd say Macrothele has super slow growth rate from my experience in M.gigas, so the getting a captive breed and raised one are highly impossible

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
u can buy Macrothele raveni(possivbly the black one angus posted) easily in china though, unfortunately they are all WC, and i'd say Macrothele has super slow growth rate from my experience in M.gigas, so the getting a captive breed and raised one are highly impossible
Really? Where would you buy it? There is no hint of an exotic pet industry in Guilin and I don't really want to travel all the way to Guangzhou. They only have fish, dogs, and birds. I really don't want buy any WC, though. I don't want to support that economy. My goal would be to breed them myself. Is there really no way?

The Earth Tigers are all a considerable distance away from here, but there are supposedly species of Plesiophrictus and Macrothele all around here, so they must be here too. And I still haven't seen Lychas mucronatus, either. I'm not even sure if there are any amblypigids here, as information is scarce. I'll probably have to stick with my scolopendrids, because I'm having an extremely difficult time finding trapdoors.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, i don't really get u , cuz u know wat?

first, how much do u know about the animals that makes u decide you want to breed them?

if so, do u know the growth rate of the species?do u think u can guarantee more slings can be raised well compare to those in the wild?

you don't want to support that economy but pet hobbyists in china do, and u are possible to buy some wc if u want a head start, if not, u are likely to catch one urself, also a wc

so don't u find it contradicting to ur principle?

and wat makes u think breeding them is right?to save the wild population of those species u prefer? opps, u forgot the whole eco system and fauna is much more important than just few species...let's say the water got poluted there, then everything is gone, and that is very likely to happened in china as we all know

ask for雷氏大疣蛛
if they don't have it, go to www.pxtx.com/ and ask
there is no hint of that in ur area cuz all of wholesellers send the animals to GZ, BJ, SH, HK or other countries after animals are collected

just want u to know, we are merely hobbyist, and there is very lill we can do, especialy in ur situation

and if u really wanna breed them, don't claim to be an environmentalist for the sac of saving the wc M.raveni

good luck anyway

and if u are not happy after reading this, then sorry about not understanding u much and this is wat u made me think

Last edited:

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, i don't really get u , cuz u know wat?

first, how much do u know about the animals that makes u decide you want to breed them?

if so, do u know the growth rate of the species?do u think u can guarantee more slings can be raised well compare to those in the wild?

you don't want to support that economy but pet hobbyists in china do, and u are possible to buy some wc if u want a head start, if not, u are likely to catch one urself, also a wc

so don't u find it contradicting to ur principle?

and wat makes u think breeding them is right?to save the wild population of those species u prefer? opps, u forgot the whole eco system and fauna is much more important than just few species...let's say the water got poluted there, then everything is gone, and that is very likely to happened in china as we all know

ask for雷氏大疣蛛
if they don't have it, go to www.pxtx.com/ and ask
there is no hint of that in ur area cuz all of wholesellers send the animals to GZ, BJ, SH, HK or other countries after animals are collected

just want u to know, we are merely hobbyist, and there is very lill we can do, especialy in ur situation

and if u really wanna breed them, don't claim to be an environmentalist for the sac of saving the wc M.raveni

good luck anyway

and if u are not happy after reading this, then sorry about not understanding u much and this is wat u made me think
I do care a lot about the environment, but I also know that there isn't very much that I can do. The best that I can do is contribute in any way that I can. I will release some pedelings back into the environment (Even though people will complain and tell me that I shouldn't - though I'm up for an educated discussion on the topic) and/or collect from different location so that I don't really impact their population.

Would you say that it's better to collect the big adult specimens (As I am doing now) and leave the pedelings or the reverse?

I just cross my fingers and hope that the education system in China improves and teach my students to respect and protect their environment. In the end, that is all I can do.

Also, I'm working on breeding Scolopendra multidens, but if I can find trapdoors or Macrothele I will try to breed them as well. So far, no luck and it sounds like quite an arduous task. However, it is one that I am prepared and interested to take on. :cool:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
breeding and release to the wild is not smart
they can be all dead the next day, if the environment is totaly screwed
don't u get it?the whole system is more important than just few animals
and also even if the whole system is well balanced, wat u plan to do is a disruption, no matter tha speciment is large or small, young or old
wat u can do is make the destruction to the minimal, just get a few and play around urself

despite of that, u can teach all u want in skool, and wat would they do when the society want them to chop down all the trees to get a million dollars? Sorry for not being pursuaded by ur effort, and as we know in the past 20 yrs, China has done almost nothing regarding to their natural perservation.
putting the southern chinese tigers in the zoo, while they are considered extinct in the wild? Breeding Pandas while the size of the habitat already shrunk to wat level? not to mention the water around major cities. (ya, they posted Japanese fishermen slaughter few dolphins while the pollution killed millions, how's that called?misdirection)

not to mocking up china on that, but it is the facts that had took place in history.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not to mocking up china on that, but it is the facts that had took place in history.
Yes, I see this every day and there isn't much about it that I can do. But, if I do anything, especially spreading awareness, it's better than just complaining about it and doing nothing.