Macrothele gigas

angus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello guys, i were new in this section, say hi to everyone with my fresh addition Macrothele gigas..hope u guys enjoy~

and also the chinese funnel web, as i know there hv few species of funnel web there, anyone can kindly help on the ID.??? thank you~

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Macrothele raveni, the second one maybe
but there are more than just that if it's from southern China, since they have their own standard of classfication

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You lucky man, i've been looking for non theraphosid myglamorphs for ages but the aren't offered that often over here,

angus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i hv just prepare a new enclouse for it..more deep substrate with a water dish..

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey Angus

i'm not 100% sure if it goes for M.gigas as it does for other Macrotheles,
but i personally never seen any of mine "dig",... so a deeper substrate isn't really necassary tmo,... give them some stuff to build a web around and they'll be happy,... the hiding spot in your enclosure will do nicely i think :)

here some picture of my couple Macrothele .spec. China (male on the right)

PS: i'm really envy your M.gigas, gorgous spider ! :drool: :drool: :drool: ;)

angus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cool pics/spider angus. does it hide a lot?
hello rex...

sounds its not hide alot...but its just living in the new home, need more observation....

Hey Angus

i'm not 100% sure if it goes for M.gigas as it does for other Macrotheles,
but i personally never seen any of mine "dig",... so a deeper substrate isn't really necassary tmo,... give them some stuff to build a web around and they'll be happy,... the hiding spot in your enclosure will do nicely i think :)

here some picture of my couple Macrothele .spec. China (male on the right)
hello steven..

thx for your pics firstly, i got some idea there..as i reply to rex, yes i didnt think he like to dig a lots at this moment, but i hv seek few experienced hobblist advise, they told me to setup with deeper substrate, its always
no hurt..and yes, its already put many silk on the top of the substrate...

about the chinese Macrotheles, i saw some hv build a tunnel by its silk..generaly at the conner of the cage between the "wall" and the substrate...

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi guys,
@Randolph: (not a rethorical question) How do you distinguish M. monocirculata from M. bannaensis and / or M. bannaensis from M. raveni? As I got a preserved specimen of a Macrothele sp. ex. "Hong Kong" and I´m trying to figure out the species. I only can say what it´s not, but I haven´t got the needed papers (descriptions of M. monocirculata and M. bannaensis). So I have to choose between those 3 species :(
If you have any further information on those please let me know.

angus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i were luck to saw it had molt, adn the colour is very pale one.
generally how long time will molt once from this sp.??? i hv took
the pics and update later on...

the below is another little guy arround 6cm LS, similar setup and keep
observation on it.....

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have no expierence with these but I will say they are beautiful. Its strange how much more beauty you can see in things captured in pics that you would normally over look. My interests have sure expanded becuase of these forums.

angus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi angus, the color won´t stay this pale. In a few days the red fangs will be back ;)
hello Improver...

i hv check it up again last night, its body colour is nearly to black, but the fangs still in pale/yellow colour......:D :D :D :D ...but i were in hurry and didnt took the pics...;)

angus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the first specimens have already make the tunnel on the top of the substrate arround the enclouse...and feed on medisize dubia.

here some new added specimens in the temp cage.

:} :} :}

CaptainChaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They look like they should belong in my collection ;P !
Very nice and i am so jealous about those! Hopefully someday ;)