Macroctenus kingsleyi

akazaran

Arachnopeon
Does anybody has experience with Macroctenus kingsleyi?
They are gorgeous but not much information available on these guys...

NYAN

Arachnoking
Keep them moist, arboreal, and offer them cork to hide in and molt from.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I find it interesting, that there's very little information spread in the hobby, despite the fact that the species is quite available (at least around here) for some time.

One should think, that M. kingsleyi would be of more interest to the pet keeping community, as it's a fairly large species, yet there's much more information available about P. haematostoma, which come from the same imports but are a smaller species.
I also rarely saw offspring for sale, usually it'd be wc adults or subadults, while P. haematostoma seems quite readily available through cb offspring.

@NYAN interesting that you metion to keep them arboreal, as Steyn et. al. mention in their paper from 2003 that they found the species generally in height < 10cm (4").

@akazaran The species is mentioned in at least two scientific papers which are available through the WSC:

Steyn, T. L., Van der Donckt, J.-F. & Jocqué, R. (2003). The Ctenidae (Araneae) of the rainforests in eastern Côte d'Ivoire. Annales, Musée Royal de l'Afrique Centrale, Sciences zoologiques290: 129-166

and

Henrard, A. & Jocqué, R. (2017a). Morphological and molecular evidence for new genera in the Afrotropical Cteninae (Araneae, Ctenidae) complex. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society180(1): 82-154

NYAN

Arachnoking
@NYAN interesting that you metion to keep them arboreal, as Steyn et. al. mention in their paper from 2003 that they found the species generally in height < 10cm (4").
This is interesting to actually read as being a fact. I had suspected that they were either found in both ground and arboreal or just ground habitat. The way I keep mine offers them both types of hides. I slant two bark pieces together. I guess I should’ve mentioned that.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What you experience is pretty much that the same, as i experienced when i raised some unidentified Ctenidae sp. from Kenya 10 years ago. Those were "neither fish nor flesh", so not arboreal, but also no strictly ground dwellers.
It's interesting to compare the observations of the scientists in the field to observations than can be made in captivity. Often it's just the same, sometimes it will differ.

akazaran

Arachnopeon
Thank Stefan these are great references.
According to the 2003 article: "
accord ing to our ex perience ofAfrican ctenids,
either their venom had no or litt le effect, or their
mo uthparts seemed too weak to pe netrate human
skin." Quite encouraging!

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
Does anybody has experience with Macroctenus kingsleyi?
They are gorgeous but not much information available on these guys...
I'm keeping mine arboreal and semi-moist She huge creepy and fast. I swear I dont open the front of her enclosure when she's out because she will bolt right out.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Seems to roam more on the ground, high humudity and mamfe road is not that hot acc to the climate diagram. 25°C
Slings and mature female are pretty fast and if you open the Container they will rush straight to the opening.

Female crushes the male before mating.

I'd say one of the spicier Ctenidae.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Seems to roam more on the ground, high humudity and mamfe road is not that hot acc to the climate diagram. 25°C
Slings and mature female are pretty fast and if you open the Container they will rush straight to the opening.

Female crushes the male before mating.

I'd say one of the spicier Ctenidae.
What makes you say they're spicy? Very, very few Ctenids are medically significant.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Not talking about the venom, they got temprament.
Not Like a c. salei chilling while the front door is open. This one will rush towards it.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not talking about the venom, they got temprament.
Not Like a c. salei chilling while the front door is open. This one will rush towards it.
That's definitely not my experience with this species. In my opinion one of the more laid back of the Ctenids.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
As long as she stays in her hideout.
The slings are pretty nervous and fast.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Compared to Piloctenus haematostoma, slightly more mellow. Piloctenus haematostoma give a hell Hitler salute to greet you. :) MKs are larger-growing to 4.75"+.