Macro photography tips

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey all,

I'm looking for some tips and tricks to macro photography! I just can't figure it out and I really want to get better. I'm currently working with a Nikon coolpix L100. So anyone else working with a similar camera that can give me some advice?

Durandal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you're having trouble focusing, try an alternate light source.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good macros often are achieved by managing depth of field: the amount of the frame that is in focus, from the foreground to background. This can be helped by two things: 1, use narrow aperture settings in good lighting, and 2: zoom in from farther away, rather than getting really close and shooting wide-angle. If you have a macro/ super-macro setting then that will help the magnification and short-focus capabilities, but I'd go for zooming in from a distance over shooting from a super-close distance. Also, if you are shooting handheld, watch the shutter speed you are using. Narrow apertures require good lighting (since they limit the amount of light that is entering the camera. The camera will adapt--if you are in an automatic or program mode--by slowing down the shutter: the length of time that light is allowed to enter the sensor. Slow shutter speeds allow for more blurring due to handshake. Using bright outdoor or strong artificial lighting will help you to overcome the need for slow shutter speeds, and allow you to get crisper photos at the apertures you need to use for good depth of field--especially if you are going the close-up over zoom-in approach to macrophotography.

Hope that helps.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A huge problem is that I don't really know a lot about cameras, I want to, and I wish I did, but I don't. And it doesn't matter how much I mess with my camera I can not figure out how to change the shutter speed and theres a lot of I don't understand.

maybe I should just take a class.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you sure your camera even has manual aperture and shutter speed settings? A class would be good but the owners manual that came with your camera is the best place to start. Go to the chapter explaining how to use the macro setting and just play around...take pictures of the same thing over and over, adjusting different settings with each shot.

Here are a few things I found that helped a lot with close-ups: As mentioned, good light. A lot of light. I used a desk lamp and a slave flash along with the cameras flash for indoor stuff. Using a tripod and your cameras self timer (if your subject will sit still long enough to allow it) will just about do away with any shake that will blur the picture.

Have fun with it and just keep taking pictures. You'll have it figured out in no time. :)