M. velvetosoma problem

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My velvetosoma is in pre-molt and her bald spot is completely black. However, today I noticed some kind of "sunken" parts on her abdomen. Could it have something to do with the new exoskeleton, or should I worry? Unfortunately I don't have a camera here so I can't take a picture.

She definitely isn't dehydrated.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't believe what I'm reading.

A friend of mine brought me a juvenile/subadult Megaphobema velvetosoma from Peru (about 10 cm or 4'' inches legspan).
It was very healthy.. eating like a pig for some months, and then went into premolt.
After the molt, I noticed that her abdomen wasn't good.. it had a kind of protuberance on it. The exuvium didn't have the piece of the abdomen. I don't know what could it happened. It was really weird.
Now, I have to wait until it's fully harden to offer food, but it seems to be good. She isn't dehydrated either.

I really don't know which was the problem.. :(

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it's comforting to know that I'm not alone. :) I'm pretty sure that my girl is going to molt within few days and then we'll see.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah a picture would help, what kind of humidity do you have set for her???and what is the temp??

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah a picture would help, what kind of humidity do you have set for her???and what is the temp??
I keep the substrate almost the same as I keep it with X. immanis. So it's pretty damp and there should be enough humidity. Temps are about 75 F. The guy I bought her from, said he kept it even warmer without any problems.

Last edited:

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep the substrate almost the same as I keep it with X. immanis. So it's pretty damp and there should be enough humidity. Temps are about 75 F. The guy I bought her from, said he kept it even warmer without any problems.
umm im trying to rule out all of the normal megaphobema problems:? i'm trying to think of the culprit but am totally drawing a blank:wall: do you know if it was WC???? how long has been since it molted and had it hardened already?

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
umm im trying to rule out all of the normal megaphobema problems:? i'm trying to think of the culprit but am totally drawing a blank:wall: do you know if it was WC???? how long has been since it molted and had it hardened already?
Yeah, it's probably WC. I have her in quarantine in case it's parasites. Last time she molted about 5 months ago. What do you mean had it hardened already? :? Like I said, she's in pre-molt now.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She molted today but the abdomen still looks weird. :?
Man, that's a shit :(

Maybe it's a problem with this species? I've never seen something like this before.
I keep a good humidity with mine too, about 80%-90%, she has enough peat-moss to dig (and she did it), and she always has her waterdish filled too.
It's so weird...

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Or parasites. Our WC velvetosomas are probably from the same area.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
do you know if it was WC????
There are no CB M. velvetosoma that I know of. Maybe there was a small success somewhere in Europe at some point, ... but not that I know of.

Eric

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I noticed that her carapace also has a slight deformation, so I'm confident that it was just a bad molt. I think the abdomen started to change when the new deformed exoskeleton developed.

She seems to be doing fine for now.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK, here's a picture for you:

That lump actually looks worse in the picture. What do you think?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hm, as the abdomen does not have an exoscelleton but only quite soft skin, i don't think it's only a bad molt. i'd say parasites, or something wrong with her internal organs. if it's the second, she may still live through it. btw, the colour seems strange for a velvetosoma...

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it's parasites, how long would it take for them to burst out?

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I should add that the camera makes it look a little different. There definitely is an exoskeleton. The skin is only thin where the lump(s) is.