M robustum thoughts....

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I just held my M robustum...
She was not thrilled, but didn't seem to freaked out either....anyone else with handling experience?
Her fangs were semi extended, and her butt was in the air, but she calmed down and sat still for photos.
I believe Joy has pics, any others?
I'm in the middle of trying to capture GBB mating on film, but I'll post pics when done (multi tasking!)
Any thoughts on Megaphobema handling?
Holley

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Did you get that "I'm about to get to post in the bite fourm" feeling? I get that impression sometimes when I hold my 3" Pterinochilus minus. I hold my M robustum but it is only a 1" sling, so I'm not sure it counts.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes...I did!

get that 'I'm going to bite' feeling...her fangs are actually halfway extended...

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
oops...wrong pic

here you can see them better:

Last edited:

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would be changing my briches if you know what I mean. You are very brave, in fact that border lines joy bravery/insanity there;) . On a side note I love M. rubustum they are so beautiful.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That T would win with me. I see the chelicerae spread like that and I'd be, "Oops, my bad, here you go, let me put you back in your cage never to be disturbed again" :D

Posting daring shots on this board doesn't seem worth finding out how bad Megaphobema venom is. Which raises the question: has anyone seen a bite report from this species/genus?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Holley,

very nice girl you got there! I've found this species to be kind of a paradox, in that they are very shy and reclusive if given plenty of substrate. at the same time, they can totally lose their "shyness" if they become aware that there's food around! It's funny. the two I have (subadult male and mature female) will both hide like there's no tomorrow, but toss them several crickets, and not only do they gorge out on half a dozen at a time, they stand around the top of their tanks begging for more! lol! Usually any attempt at contact with them results in getting a butt stuck in my face with a couple of spiny legs stuck out at me as well!

this species are one of my top favorites! absolutely gorgeous tarantula! thanks for posting the awesome pics!

take care,

Paul

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ohhhh........Holley! how much wine did you have to drink to work up the nerve to handle that girl?! :D
I have NEVER handled any of my three adult females, or the adult male I had on loan......all my females were VERY skittish when I first got them as they were in a small shoebox type enclosure with no hide. after I moved them into large kritter keepers with a secure hiding place they all calmed down. I rarely see them out of their hides.
out of the three females that I bred last year two have molted, I am hoping the last will drop a sac........
Ed

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
I just held my M robustum...
She was not thrilled, but didn't seem to freaked out either....anyone else with handling experience?
Her fangs were semi extended, and her butt was in the air, but she calmed down and sat still for photos.
I believe Joy has pics, any others?
Any thoughts on Megaphobema handling?
Holley
I've found my females somewhat skittish on occasion, but never had one attempt a bite or even urticate. My male was somewhat more nervous and did urticate a time or two when I first started working with him (he also did the "Spinning-Wheel-of-Death" move once or twice), but after a while he calmed down and was quite tractable when I had to move him in and out of the females' vivaria.

Joy