M. robustum mating begins!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So as a lot of you know I have been wanting to breed this species for over 2 years now.

Well I found a MM courtesy of Spiderfield(Ryan) and I received the MM today.

My female is freshly molted and this male is ready to go. I am going to let him have a day or so to settle in before the first pairing. But just wanted to update everyone.

I will be documenting every step I take with pictures and detailed reports. This way hopefully we may seen more of these in the future! This is by far my favorite species/genus. I really hope to have a successful breeding.

Wish me luck and look out for updates.

here is the mature male

I dont have a picture of my fresh molted female, because she is i a pretty deep burrow. but here are some pics of when I got her.

her colors have dramatically brightened. and she is huge. probably close to 7 inches.

female

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pairing 1. SUCCESS!

Ok so like I said I will be keeping everyone informed on my progress with this project.

I am just going to be posting pictures for now. I will post a very detailed breeding report later, once all is said and done.

The one thing I will say, is I didnt get to witness or count the number of insertions the male got. Mainly because it was in her burrow. I know he did make some. just not sure how many.

pictures.

This is when the insertions happened.

The male then retreated and stopped for a drink of water. haha

Enjoy!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
haha yeah.

I was watching him pretty close though. I didnt want the female to get him while he was drinking. I did find it rather funny how nonchalant he was about it.{D

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
checked on the female a little while ago and noticed she has already webbed the entrance to her burrow. Maybe it already took?

I am still going to try a few more times. But thought I would update.

From my readings it seems with this species(and many others) once the female webs the burrow, it took.(correct that if I am wrong.)

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Excellent News! Looking foward to many more pictures. Major good luck!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks Steve! I hope all goes well. If I am not mistaken there are a few others trying to breed these guys.

I hope to see an increase of slings available in the next few months.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes they are! It is just a shame my female stays in her burrow 80% of the time. But when she comes out its worth the wait!

I underestimated the size of the males too. The male I have that I thought was penultimate is got a ways to go before maturing. My male is 4.5 to 5 inches. The MM in the pictures is probably 6.5 to 7 inches!:eek:

The MM is a lot more skittish than my female or my smaller male. I wish I had a video camera to show everyone the spinning kick they do! The MM has done it 3 or four times. haha.

hard to be prepared for a spinning kick from a tarantula while your unpacking the thing! {D he did to came out spinning.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Well I hope you get more of them into the hobby :D Im not that into NW T's and I really like these :D although I likely will get some more NW T's :D

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Update.

Tonight I put the male back in with the female. I did not get any pictures because I was guarding the male.

The females showed lots of aggression towards the male this time. He still managed to grab her fangs and make two quick and clean insertions.

as soon as they were done, I separated them immediately. I will pair them once more, even though I am thinking the first one took.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
The MM is a lot more skittish than my female or my smaller male. I wish I had a video camera to show everyone the spinning kick they do! The MM has done it 3 or four times. haha.
next time get a video! and good luck.:D

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Do you plan on selling the male? If not, go all the way. If the male is old, I doubt he will last long enough to see female molt again for another try.

Good luck.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It isnt my male.

He isnt all that old, and has quite a bit of spunk left to him. I would rather see him passed about, than munched.