M. robustum found in a death curl this morning

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I think you are right. Saying the species itself is fragile would be a misnomer. I believe there are other variables that lead to higher reports of fatality such as mass misinformation on husbandry practices (people not keeping them fossorial or moist enough) or a disproportionately large amount of WC specimens with preexisting health issues.
I kept her in a fossorial setup and never let her substrate dry out, but I also believe she had preexisting health issues, possibly nematodes. Like I said before I could be wrong, but I have multiple fossorial moisture dependent species and have never had an issue getting them to eat, burrow, or survive. She had recently completely covered up her burrow and didn’t start another one, also refused to eat for quite some time. While both those things can be normal, it indicated to me the possibility something was wrong. I don’t believe it was husbandry in this case, although there is perhaps something I was missing. If there was, I’m not sure what it could be though. All that being said, it is a beautiful and unique species and I’m hoping to get another one in the somewhat distant future. I don’t believe they’re necessarily fragile though, Just moisture dependent.

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
I kept her in a fossorial setup and never let her substrate dry out, but I also believe she had preexisting health issues, possibly nematodes. Like I said before I could be wrong, but I have multiple fossorial moisture dependent species and have never had an issue getting them to eat, burrow, or survive. She had recently completely covered up her burrow and didn’t start another one, also refused to eat for quite some time. While both those things can be normal, it indicated to me the possibility something was wrong. I don’t believe it was husbandry in this case, although there is perhaps something I was missing. If there was, I’m not sure what it could be though. All that being said, it is a beautiful and unique species and I’m hoping to get another one in the somewhat distant future. I don’t believe they’re necessarily fragile though, Just moisture dependent.
I definitely don’t think that anything you did caused this. Either we keepers as a whole just haven’t pinpointed the best way to keep this species yet (like how we kept avics in the past) or she was wild caught and came with some sort of ailment. Or third option something went wrong during the molt that was beyond anyone’s control.
Nematodes are very rare unless your specimen is wild caught or if you have another wild caught specimen that may have given it to another T (again this is also rare so don’t panic too much about nematodes) but it might help to contact the seller and ask them if you’re unsure. I don’t know if this species is routinely collected as juveniles. I’m sorry for your loss though, very hard losing a beloved T.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
She’s one of 2 tarantulas ive got at a pet store and they didn’t specify, but it’s possible. I only buy captive bred Ts from fear not or pinchers and pokies usually. She could have been.
Same story with both of mine. Bought at a local pet store as juvies. Followed all the care advice, still died on me. 🤷‍♂️ Don't know, but now I want to try raising some that I know are CB and see if they are hardier.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Are they really? I haven't really read or come across a species that is really fragile to own generally. Even T seladonia may not be that fragile once husbandry is worked out by the masses.
@EulersK didn't you own these? Fragile?
I own and maintain two generations of these. Easily in my top five favorite species primarily because of their ease of care.

They are an objectively hardy species - with the added notion of them being kept properly. Deep burrowers, like a good "rainfall" once per month, and kept well fed.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
This whole dehydrated thing honestly bothers me a bit. As soon as any signs of weakness etc. are seen, they are immediately dehydrated and manipulated immediately, which in my opinion is often very risky. Spiders will always die from whatever! But if water was regularly provided and the substrate was never completely dried out, it is very unlikely that the animal is dehydrated! Then it is bad for the animal and the person manipulates, twists it, etc ...
Personally, I doubt the point behind it. Leave alone and hope for the best is also a possibility!
There are simply innumerable causes of death, most of them unexplored! But as I said, if water was provided, then why should there be a lack of water!

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
This whole dehydrated thing honestly bothers me a bit. As soon as any signs of weakness etc. are seen, they are immediately dehydrated and manipulated immediately, which in my opinion is often very risky. Spiders will always die from whatever! But if water was regularly provided and the substrate was never completely dried out, it is very unlikely that the animal is dehydrated! Then it is bad for the animal and the person manipulates, twists it, etc ...
Personally, I doubt the point behind it. Leave alone and hope for the best is also a possibility!
There are simply innumerable causes of death, most of them unexplored! But as I said, if water was provided, then why should there be a lack of water!
I have no idea, it was just the only thing that I could actually attempt to do something about in the situation. It might have been a bad molt, or really anything. I always kept the substrate moist, always had a water dish.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Sorry, don't feel addressed! This is for the general public, not because of you!

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I own and maintain two generations of these. Easily in my top five favorite species primarily because of their ease of care.

They are an objectively hardy species - with the added notion of them being kept properly. Deep burrowers, like a good "rainfall" once per month, and kept well fed.
See I knew they were moisture dependent and I keep other moisture dependent species. I’m not saying it’s a fragile T, I’m just kind of confused as to what could have happened to her. I kept her on moist sub in a fossorial setup. I do wish I knew where exactly I went wrong. I would’ve done anything possible to not lose her. She’s the first tarantula I’ve lost so I’m particularly upset about it.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All I can add up is that I've also had an issue with a WC T failing to thrive. In my case, it was an unknown Aphonopelma. For the first 2 years in my care, it ate relatively well. Went through a molt and ate well at first... then suddenly it stopped eating and this lasted for over 2 years ! Eventually, it began to curl up and I found it one day completely unresponsive. Did it fail to thrive... or was it at the end of a relatively long lifespan ? No way to tell, really. Since that time, I have said to myself that I would only purchase captive-bred animals from here on out. Your M. robustum could have very well being WC and possibly had internal issues. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, not all animals live up to having a long, healthy life.