M Robustum - best enclosure setup?

user 666

Arachnobaron
I just got a couple M robustum yesterday from Paul B, and I need to know if this enclosure passes muster.

It's based on a Hobby Lobby mini helmet display case (5.5 x 6.5 x 8.5) and currently houses a 2" robustum on 3" of substrate (yes, the substrate is moist). There is a lot of moss, a lot of plants, and underneath the plants is a cork bark hide.

I think this would be a good enclosure for your average terrestrial, but does it pass muster for a robustum?
P1040635.jpg P1040634.jpg P1040633.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That enclosure would be amazing for a GBB, but not so much for a robustum. M. robustum is an obligate burrower, meaning it doesn't even need a hide. Offer a starter burrow and it will have a decent sized burrow over night. It's also one of the deepest burrowing NW fossorial species. My 2" individual went to the bottom of 8" worth of substrate. I'll try and remember to take a picture of my setup when I get home.

In short, the spider will make due because it has no choice, but I wouldn't say that the setup is ideal.

It appears that you're aware of their humidity needs, which is good. Never let it dry out.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The set up for my female is very spartan: lots of inches of moist substrate, two (2) fake leaves on the substrate just near the cork bark (where she burrowed under), water dish, done :-s

Mind... hoping that yours is a female (if not only for the lifespan), remember, that set up is temporary, because the sooner you are able move those T's in their final (with lot of substrate) enclosure, the better.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
You definitely need several more inches of substrate.

The plants look nice but will probably end up under substrate after a while unless you hot melt them to the side of the enclosure. All three of my M. robustum (reached juvenile now) have bulldozed so much substrate that there is more air space in the bottom of the enclosure than the top. They are constantly burying the water dish. The hides got hidden and I haven't seen any of them in ages.

But these are beautiful T's to own. Mine are voracious eaters and only reject crickets near molt. Mine stay burrowed and only come up to surface during the night, but they are active. It is recommended that you size your enclosure so that you only need one rehousing because they will get stressed out more easily than most T's.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Thanks, everyone. I have pulled most of the plants and replaced them with substrate.
The plants look nice but will probably end up under substrate after a while unless you hot melt them to the side of the enclosure. All three of my M. robustum (reached juvenile now) have bulldozed so much substrate that there is more air space in the bottom of the enclosure than the top. They are constantly burying the water dish. The hides got hidden and I haven't seen any of them in ages.
Heh. this reminds me of hermit crabs, who also like to bury the decorations, flip over water dishes, and generally wreck havoc on their habitats.

And I too like this species; they didn't wait to be coaxed out of their shipping containers but instead crawled out on their own. And they're beautiful, too.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Alright, so here's a bit more info. I've attached two photos.

Note how there's nothing really in the enclosure. The PVC pipe was provided as a hide, and it was utterly ignored. The only reason I haven't removed it is because I worry that doing so will cause a cave-in. This is the home of a pentultimate male, and these males mature fairly small. As @Chris LXXIX said, you want to rehouse large. The sooner you can get it into a "forever home", the better. The adult females seem to burrow more horizontally than vertically like this guy has done, but you get the idea. As was mentioned, this is a very stressed T. I see mine every day, but if I walk by too quickly it darts into its burrow. The definition of skittish.

Note how much ventilation there is. The humidity required in this species is a slippery slope into stagnant air, which you should avoid like the plague.

EDIT: Looks dry, but the lower levels the substrate are quite moist.

Attachments

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm always visually pleased with the interior design of enclosures posted by @user 666. Always look natural in a way I'm not always capable of accomplishing!
It was a nice looking home no doubt, but I thought it was better to help the user out with EulersK as I knew he owned that species, so far more helpful than myself. It's just one of many species I haven't gotten around to owning hah.

User 666 and I had a disagreement, so s/he doesn't even see my posts or something.

BUT being the helpful person that I am, I still help user666 out.

Last edited: