M. mesomelas

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im thinking of buying this off reptist, tell me anything u can about this species....I love the look of this T!!!! I was going to buy the smithi, but since I already have one (m), I thought Id switch it up and get this guy...is it a burrower?

evilarachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 5'' female and in the years i have had her she never burrowed. you need to make sure that if you do get this m. mesomelas that you keep it cool no higher than 70 degrees. I would get it they are an amazing T

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
really? I was reading that they need hogh humidity, but u know how that goes, lol...I keep it 75 in my t room, and some of the tanks read 80 degrees inside them...I would have to put him elsewhere?

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How big do they get, also? Are they aggressive? I have dociles here only, but would make an exception for this!!!

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is a great species and I highly recommend them, but they can be quite tricky to raise successfully. Ideally, they shouldn't be much above 70F as they are a montane cloud forest species and need almost "swampy" conditions - so high humidity and consistently moist substrate. This is hard for a lot of people to do and most people I know who had one lost it in the sling stage. I have a now about 2.5" female and personally haven't had any trouble with her though. My apt ranges from about 67-73F and I keep her soil wet with somewhat low ventilation. They aren't aggressive per se but they are defensive (will flick hairs readily) and skittish. They aren't deep burrowers but may take to a hide if you provide one. If you are willing to take the risk with the price, they are awesome T's though and still fairly rare here. I love mine!