M. Gigantea sealed burrow in spring

Lykoloo

Arachnopeon
My adult giant vinegaroon had left its burrow early in spring, so I cleaned its habitat. I replaced the coco fiber and added some new decorations. It dug a new burrow the same night but after a week of activity it sealed the burrow like it does in fall. Temps didn't fall and neither did humidity.

Any ideas? Could it be molting this late in the year? It didn't molt in the last 3 years AFAIK.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Mine has sealed herself in a burrow around 10 days ago. I'm expecting a moult.

Lykoloo

Arachnopeon
Update: it still hasn't left burrow as of 7/11. I installed a ceramic heater and temp controller. It was digging for a while and now hasn't dug for about a week.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Definitely sounds like a molt to me. I think I've read about them sometimes taking months, and you would expect her to stop digging when she doesn't want to move around anymore.

Lykoloo

Arachnopeon
Definitely sounds like a molt to me. I think I've read about them sometimes taking months, and you would expect her to stop digging when she doesn't want to move around anymore.
I would be inclined to think that as well, but she is an adult. I thought that they stopped molting after the reaching adulthood. (isn't it 4 instars?)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Update: it still hasn't left burrow as of 7/11. I installed a ceramic heater and temp controller. It was digging for a while and now hasn't dug for about a week.
Mine is still in her burrow. It's been a month now.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I would be inclined to think that as well, but she is an adult. I thought that they stopped molting after the reaching adulthood. (isn't it 4 instars?)
Ah, you're absolutely right. I had thought they molted throughout their lives.

MossMan

Arachnopeon
How long can they go without food? I wouldn't expect something to moult without eating or so long

schmiggle

Arachnoking
How long can they go without food? I wouldn't expect something to moult without eating or so long
Pretty sure vinegaroons can go months without food. I wonder if she's making an eggsac, maybe, though of course it would be a dud.

Good to hear she's eaten. That's probably a good sign.

Lykoloo

Arachnopeon
She left the burrow today at around 5pm, I have no idea why she stayed underground so long. I can see into her burrow and she did nothing for the entire time.

basin79

ArachnoGod
She left the burrow today at around 5pm, I have no idea why she stayed underground so long. I can see into her burrow and she did nothing for the entire time.
I wonder if it's just a safety thing? As in they're not hungry so just go to ground out of the way.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My girl finally shed this morning. She must have been sealed away for 4 weeks.

basin79

ArachnoGod
That's good, mine caught another cricket so far.
Yeah I'm relieved. Massively looking forward to seeing her out and about again once she's hardened up. It'll be interesting to see how much she's grown.