M. Balfrouri Care sheet? (I'm a noob)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
How would a microwave not sterilize?
Imo its no differrent than an oven.
An autoclave is the only machine that can truly 100% sterilize.

Microwaves differ from ovens because they use volumetric heating - energy is distributed evenly throughout the matter being heated. Ovens heat the matter from the contact surface and heat is then transferred inwards and the speed depends on the makeup of the matter and also the thickness which means decontamination times vary and may be less efficient.

Autoclaves use a similar process to ovens to sterilize, but the differences between an oven and an autoclave are steam, pressure, and the ability to remove existing (potentially contaminated) air from the enclosure. What takes 5 minutes to sterilize in an autoclave using steam would take over an hour in a dry-heat oven
(assuming the environment is correct for the oven to sterilize to begin with). When it comes to steam in an autoclave, there's "dry" steam (which has a humidity of less than 3%) and "wet" steam (greater than 3%) - the lower the humidity, the more energy transfer is reduced and the process then takes longer. Obviously autoclaves are much more efficient than microwaves - but for cleaning moist substrate I'd prefer a microwave over an oven because the moisture in the sub will create its own steam and that humidity is better contained in a microwave.

And since the original question was how to dry sub, yes, technically an oven will work better as contained humidity will make it take longer to dry out completely but a microwave will do so evenly and it will be cleaner in the process :)

Also your house will not smell like dirt. :turtle: Which it does when cooking potting soil in the oven so I'm sure substrate would be no different.

Ramil

Arachnopeon
Old worlds are a terrible choice for new keepers...please re consider
too late..
Just a plain good old fashion bad decision...oh to be young again.
Well, it was a gift. I read about the other 2 of my T's before even buying them. As you can see, I also asked and read about the Nhandu Chromatus before even buying 1.

Well, don't be TOO hard on him about having an OW. According to his OP he didn't buy it himself, it was a gift from his girlfriend.
Thank you for pointing it out. It was obvious, but some people really dont like to read the complete texts. =P

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Well, it was a gift. I read about the other 2 of my T's before even buying them. As you can see, I also asked and read about the Nhandu Chromatus before even buying 1.
Thank you for pointing it out. It was obvious, but some people really dont like to read the complete texts. =P
I wish I had a girlfriend who bought me irresponsible Ts that I can't justify buying on my own...:D

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Look at it this way. At least his girlfriend didn't say to herself "I bet he would LOVE this one...it looks pretty and has "Feather" and "Baboon" in its name! How cute is THAT???"

cold blood

Staff member
I said bad decision, i didnt point to the op as the maker of the bad decision, did I...it was the girlfriends bad decision, that should have been obvious as WE ALL CAN READ HERE.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Im guessing she googled the pictures. Lol
Yep, that's exactly what happened I'm sure lol. They're amazing looking spiders. Even if it was way too soon for a baboon species, it's a killer gift. And I'm sure with the info you've gotten from here, you'll do just fine with it.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
They are beautiful spiders. And luckily, from what I've heard, one of the easier baboons to deal with; can't say for sure as my only baboon is a H. pulchripes. But do NOT get complacent. Like all OWs they are fast and if you get tagged it will likely mean a trip to the hospital. Use common sense and keep your hands out of anywhere they don't belong. Invest in 12 inch tongs if you don't have some already. No need to be scared, but you need to respect it.

Ramil

Arachnopeon
Yep, that's exactly what happened I'm sure lol. They're amazing looking spiders. Even if it was way too soon for a baboon species, it's a killer gift. And I'm sure with the info you've gotten from here, you'll do just fine with it.
Yea, I googled them too the moment i got her. They're absolutely stunning! Thank you for the kind comments! I hope to see this beast fully grown!

Ramil

Arachnopeon
They are beautiful spiders. And luckily, from what I've heard, one of the easier baboons to deal with; can't say for sure as my only baboon is a H. pulchripes. But do NOT get complacent. Like all OWs they are fast and if you get tagged it will likely mean a trip to the hospital. Use common sense and keep your hands out of anywhere they don't belong. Invest in 12 inch tongs if you don't have some already. No need to be scared, but you need to respect it.
Beautiful indeed. Yea, I dont really like to handle her anymore. Lol. It just continues to amaze me how good looking she is. Thank you!

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Beautiful indeed. Yea, I dont really like to handle her anymore. Lol. It just continues to amaze me how good looking she is. Thank you!
Just please listen to others. Do not intentionally handle. I wanted to when I first started and came to understand that it really just wasn't good for the spider or me. Nobody is trying to be mean (besides @cold blood because he's just mean :p ) but nothing good for you or the spider can come of it.