M. Balfrouri Care sheet? (I'm a noob)

Ramil

Arachnopeon
tarantulas should not be handled. they get stressed when they are forced to walk over your hands, stressing out your pet on purpose for your own enjoyment is bad husbandry. handling tarantulas is a poor choice and handling a OW spider on purpose is just plain dumb.
have you read bite reports??
He said above that he would never do it again after reading some bite reports. I think this was just a simple case of not knowing any better.
looks to me like he wont handle the M balfouri again, didnt say anything about his other two.
Hi guys! I dont plan on handling the T's. Thanks for all the kind comments and advice! This would really help me.

Ramil

Arachnopeon
This is TERRIBLE advice. OP, please DO NOT microwave your tarantula. It stresses them out.
I was talking about the substrate. :p:p:p

If OP thinks I meant to microwave his T, I don't think he should be allowed to keep Ts :anxious:
Lol. I was talking about the substrate. How many minutes should i put the substrate on the microwave? I'm using cocopeat btw.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
How many minutes should i put the substrate on the microwave? I'm using cocopeat btw.
Until it's dry? I think I did it in 2 minute increments until I burned myself on it and it looked dry. Sorry but that's all I've got for ya. :D
Also make sure it cools down enough before using it so you don't cook your T!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
@cold blood no on the microwaving? I wouldn't recommend it if he were living in a dry climate but I have done it and have found it helpful with both Ts and with recycling potting soil and growing plants.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I was talking about the substrate. :p:p:p
Lol. I was talking about the substrate. How many minutes should i put the substrate on the microwave? I'm using cocopeat btw.
M.balfouri like the substrate dry but it's ok if it's damp when you put it in. The last rehouse I did for my communal the substrate was damp and they were digging in it with in the day. If there is good ventilation it'll dry pretty quick. Give them plenty of substrate as these guys like to burrow. My communal enclosure both have really nice tunnels and they are good webbers so webbing anchor points are a plus as well.

Unless it's really wet I'd just let it dry out on it's own till it's damp. If it is wet then I'd squeeze out all the water I could and then let it dry out on it's own till it's damp.

Microwaving the substrate does kill anything that might be in the soil but that's really not needed and can make it easier for mold to break out later.

I don't have access to a good photo of my whole communal enclosure but I'll get one tonight if I remember. Here is a few old ones to give you an idea how they roll.
My M.balfouri (in the 3 sling communal enclosure) were out today and a got a few shots.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Beginners luck probably
Yes, a beginner owning an OW was a poor choice. Good luck there. The only good part is this species is not the most defensive at times. Though my 2" sac mages always like a good threat pose for me.

Can i instead microwave the substrate to have it dry?
Baking the sub is better than microwaving. I use 350F for baking, spread on a pan in thin layers.

I have a strong microwave, and it doesn't work as well as an oven.

What's the deal with people against microwaving this type of sub? Clue me in.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Well, don't be TOO hard on him about having an OW. According to his OP he didn't buy it himself, it was a gift from his girlfriend.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
They were not my first OW Ts but I got them early. I kept mine communally except for one who was small enough I thought he might get out the vent of the communal. I've never had them try to run out of the enclosure and I've never seen a threat pose even when rehousing.

It's not an optimal 1st T with everything else you'll be learning but if you do your homework and use care when working with them you should be ok.

cold blood

Staff member
@cold blood no on the microwaving? I wouldn't recommend it if he were living in a dry climate but I have done it and have found it helpful with both Ts and with recycling potting soil and growing plants.
No on the sterilization....sterilized sub becomes ripe for a mold or pest takover...both of which could happen in a blink in the ops climate.

Last edited:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
No on the sterilization....sterilized sub becomes ripe fpr a mold or pest takover...both if which could happen in a blink in the ops climate.
Well the thing is, microwaving doesn't completely sterilize. It does a significant amount of cleaning but is by no means is an accurate means of sterilization. In order for it to be completely sterilized all microorganisms need to be killed, bad and good - so I would not recommend substrate that has been cleaned in an autoclave, for example, because that means it has been completely wiped of all the little goodies that could be hiding out in there, thus making it perfect blank-slate breeding ground for fungi and critters.

That being said, OP is going to need quite a bit of ventilation in his current environment anyway so combating mold should be something he familiarizes himself with! :)

I have limited experience with using recycled/cleaned sub with Ts but this is my experience with growing plants, so you may be correct in this application.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Juve/adult: lots of inches of dry substrate, a piece of cork bark for hide, anchor points for the web, a medium KK? Yes... works fine as enclosure. Water dish, and done.

A sling? The same: just keep a little corner moist, or use a little sized water dish.

P.S

Screw "care sheets" and IMO those T's are "goofy" keeper bulletproof. End of the story.

cold blood

Staff member
How would a microwave not sterilize?

Imo its no differrent than an oven.