M. Balfouri

draiko

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone, the time has come for my second T. I have a B. Vagans that is extremely calm. So my question is, if I am careful and reasonable, what other issues can come up. Like is tarantula speed something you have to get used to on others beforehand?

I want to get a M Balfouri because they are my absolute favourites. But I know they are very fast. To be honest I dont want someone to cu ange my mind i just want to know what to look out for other than speed. Thanks

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
These are not the fastest nor the most defensive of the OW. However there is not much difference in care between these and B. vagans.

They are generally at the same levels of speed and skittishness. What you need to take into account is that M. balfouri will be defensive, will bite and i can assure you that it will hurt.

I see my bigger AF balfouri is generally calm but can turn into a demon within blink of an eye. They will tend to run rather than fight but that will not always be the case.

Research a little more. There is plenty more threads on this species that you will find by using the search function.

Good luck :)

draiko

Arachnosquire
Thank you so much for the reply. I think I will definitely go for it.

cold blood

Staff member
I think its a bad choice for a 2nd t. GBB is a much better choice....at least you will see a GBB regularly.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I think its a bad choice for a 2nd t. GBB is a much better choice....at least you will see a GBB regularly.
I see my balfouri almost everyday.. I know that alot of people don't though..

To the OP I agree with cold blood in the sence that a Baboon sp. shouldn't be your second T.. Mistakes happen and with O/Ws the price is kind of high. Lol

What about P.sazamai? They are very blue and very fast when young.. IMO it's a good step in the right direction to prepare yourself for a M.balfouri..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I see my balfouri almost everyday.. I know that alot of people don't though...
My cohabs are always out.. Maybe less nervous as safety in numbers? I have an immature male in his own and he is out quite regularly too but will scurry away if slight disturbance

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My cohabs are always out.. Maybe less nervous as safety in numbers? I have an immature male in his own and he is out quite regularly too but will scurry away if slight
disturbance
I only have one( suspect male) he used to be very skittish if he was out and I bumped into his enclosure he would dart into his burrow.. Now he's used to me acting like a bull in a china shop and hardly takes notice! Lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi everyone, the time has come for my second T. I have a B. Vagans that is extremely calm. So my question is, if I am careful and reasonable, what other issues can come up. Like is tarantula speed something you have to get used to on others beforehand?

I want to get a M Balfouri because they are my absolute favourites. But I know they are very fast. To be honest I dont want someone to cu ange my mind i just want to know what to look out for other than speed. Thanks
It's a terrible choice for a person who is has only owned a Vagans.

As slings and through 2.5", the two I own are EXTREMELY fast. My P. rufilatas weren't this fast. The only other terrestrial I own that is faster, is N. incei.

I've owned several Ceratogyrus, not nearly as fast as balfouri. Get one of those instead first if you aren't going to get a safer/fast T BEFORE getting an OW T.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Teleport is the word that comes to mind regarding balfouri speed. Comparing vagans to balfouri = tortoise to hare.
Mine have been more prone to flight than fight, but they are well equipped to do both.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My M.balrouri really were not that fast. I housed mine well and they went to the burrow with no trying to make a break. I had 3 in one container/4 in another and 1 in a 2oz condiment cup. They really were easy to work with. I never had any make their way out of the enclosure.

Give the good amount of burrow substrate. Let them setup a home and they will run there when you open the enclosure.

They are faster than a B.vagans, but to me they are not teleporters.

draiko

Arachnosquire
SLINGS

Chaco 2 cm $4
B. Emelia 6 cm $20
M Balfouri 1.5cm $15
A.Versi Colour 1.5cm $17
L.Klugi 1.5cm $5
G.Porteri 1.5cm $3

JUVIES

GBB 3cm $15
N.Chromatus 5cm $13
N.Tripepi 4cm $6
B.Auratum 6cm $26
Hatian Brown 6cm €11

MATURE FEMALES

Chaco 14cm $90
P.Insignis 17cm $300

These are my choices. The only other one i like is the chromatus but i cant give him extra humidity. My next one will need the same enviroment than my Vagans.