M. Balfouri ventral

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
Hard to tell anything. Can you get a closer photo of the area between the first and second set of book lungs? If not, just wait for a molt. Sexing via a molt is more accurate anyway.

Sen L

Arachnopeon
Hard to tell anything. Can you get a closer photo of the area between the first and second set of book lungs? If not, just wait for a molt. Sexing via a molt is more accurate anyway.
I'm afraid that's not possible atm, I was actually just luck today that it was out of it's burrow. Haha :(

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A dorsal picture might be more helpful, IF it's all blue, but that's no guarantee either. However at 2" I doubt it will be helpful at all.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Kinda looks male... BUT if I we're you, if grab a magnifying glass, grab my phone (camera), and take a pic through the lens.

Sen L

Arachnopeon
Well, others have been saying that it looks female judging from the ventral. I'll try to take a picture of its dorsal later. Thanks for the input guys, hopefully its a fem. *fingers crossed

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

WAY to early to tell. I have pics of my male, but not posted. You can easily find this on AB. Ask @Trenor to direct you to his male, if the MM pic he has is up.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't have any vent photos of my M.balfouri Ts. I kinda suck at vent sexing and most guesses I got were often wrong so I don't do much of that.

I do have a photo of an MM so you can see what coloring it has when it matures which is the easiest way to tell.

Also if it gets a bit bigger and you get a molt I have both male and female molt photos.
Male:

Female:

That to me is the best way to sex a T though this species will make it easy to tell when they mature because they look so different.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think anyone can reliably determine the sex of a t that small from ventral view. It's hard enough to do it from molt for something that size.
Like one of the posts said, unsexed.

Sen L

Arachnopeon
Alright guys, thanks for the inputs, i'll prolly wait for it to molt then. I just asked cause other species are easy to tell via ventral.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I don't have any vent photos of my M.balfouri Ts. I kinda suck at vent sexing and most guesses I got were often wrong so I don't do much of that.

I do have a photo of an MM so you can see what coloring it has when it matures which is the easiest way to tell.

Also if it gets a bit bigger and you get a molt I have both male and female molt photos.
Male:

Female:

That to me is the best way to sex a T though this species will make it easy to tell when they mature because they look so different.

Your pictures are brighter than my future.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Male:

Female:

My male looks just like yours. I did hear from a breeder that the color change isn't always a guarantee though, something to remember for the future. I've read as much in much older balfouri posts several years ago. Some people had blue males, some people seemed not to.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My male looks just like yours. I did hear from a breeder that the color change isn't always a guarantee though, something to remember for the future. I've read as much in much older balfouri posts several years ago. Some people had blue males, some people seemed not to.
Oh, I'd not heard that. I know some are not as dark blue but all of them (that I had heard of from others and seen myself) had a blue carapace where my female has a coffee brown one. I'll have to ask around and see what turns up. I should have a few more mature in the next 4 months from a different batch and unless they are all female (one can hope :D) I'll see how they compare. Both the males from the 1st communal were pretty bright but they were also from the same sack.

It is pretty easy to look for the gloves if you can't get a good read on the colors. So you can always check for that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh, I'd not heard that. I know some are not as dark blue but all of them (that I had heard of from others and seen myself) had a blue carapace where my female has a coffee brown one. I'll have to ask around and see what turns up. I should have a few more mature in the next 4 months from a different batch and unless they are all female (one can hope :D) I'll see how they compare. Both the males from the 1st communal were pretty bright but they were also from the same sack.

It is pretty easy to look for the gloves if you can't get a good read on the colors. So you can always check for that.
I asked Thistles about it. PM her etc. Her info correlates with the threads I had seen in the past.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I asked Thistles about it. PM her etc. Her info correlates with the threads I had seen in the past.
I'll do that. I'm always looking for new info. My two heavy blue males along with the female came from her. :)