M. Balfouri sling

draiko

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone. I have owned this sling for around 2 months and Ive only seen him eat once. He is always out and Im wondering if hes still healthy. I put food in and it moves around during the night so im hoping to hear good things from you guys and that Im doing well with my first sling! Haha! Does he look healthy or dehydrtaed or hungry or anything? I have no idea how to judge a sling.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
We will need photos. It doesn't sound out of the ordinary though. Most Ts seem to stop eating when moult is approaching.

Always remove food after 24hrs if not eaten. If your T is constantly wandering around then it may be bothered by a feeder in its burrow (I have noticed this with my balfouris)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
As long as food disappears, then it should be fine :D Most of the time, tiny slings will be in premolt a lot. Could be that it is in premolt, but it sounds like your sling is healthy. A good sign that it is healthy is having a nice plump abdomen and movement. Not much else to it ;)

draiko

Arachnosquire
Yes im trying to get the picture on. give me a few seconds haha. sorry guys.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It is nice and plump so I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure it gets water as needed.

Also that is a big food item for a T that size. :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I wasn't worried about it harming the T. A feeder item that big will plump up your T and it'll stop eating till it molts. Sometimes it'll stop for a few molts if it has ate too much.

I'd cut up that feeder and just feed smaller pieces till it's bigger.

Last edited:

draiko

Arachnosquire
Oh i see. thanks trenor. will do. Thanks for all the quick responses.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
even if the prey items dead, if its gigantic, the sling wont take it.
Apparently you've never fed a P.scrofa sling lol. Some slings will jump on very large prey I have quite a few species that do so. My D.diamantinsis are little over pin head size and readily eat very large pre killed prey.

draiko

Arachnosquire
My g porteri sling. Same size. Also jumps on anything i chuck in there. Shes a beast.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi Trenor. Don't worry it is dead!
Many small slings won't bother to eat from such a large food item, and others will as mentioned above.

Balfouri are medium growers at best, they are not the most ravenous of eaters, unless absolutely starving. They don't grow as fast as other baboons. Also, their abdomens don't get nearly as plump as other baboons either. They tend to have an elongated/oval shape to them, not a large bulbous shape.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Also, their abdomens don't get nearly as plump as other baboons either. They tend to have an elongated/oval shape to them, not a large bulbous shape.
Heh, You've seen my photos. :p

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Mine are fatties that will rarely turn down anything you leave in the communal enclosure. Even the tiny one I have separate is plump and eats like crazy. They are much bigger now and still plump but I don't have access to photos on this computer ATM. :D

My M.balfouri (in the 3 sling communal enclosure) were out today and a got a few shots.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
I've kept balfouri a few different ways. When kept alone they tend to not eat as much nor grow as fast as the ones I keep communally. In the communal they are ravenous little pigs and grow quite fast. Even the mom eats a lot until she disappears again. It's incredibly interesting the difference between how much of a difference there is between being kept single and communal. While it does make sense they eat more and grow faster in a communal. They all have to keep up with each other.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When kept alone they tend to not eat as much nor grow as fast as the ones I keep communally. In the communal they are ravenous little pigs and grow quite fast.
Perhaps they grow more because there is more prey?

One can't have a few hungry Ts in a communal, or you end up with one big fat T ;)
I believe @EulersK has experienced this w/ N. incei.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Perhaps they grow more because there is more prey?

One can't have a few hungry Ts in a communal, or you end up with one big fat T ;)
I believe @EulersK has experienced this w/ N. incei.
Tis true I do feed the communal heavily about every 8 days. But even when they have the opportunity to each have their own meal they choose to share most of the time with the few exceptions that grab a snack and run with it.