M. balfouri sling thoughts

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Ordered a 1/2" pair of these guys and wanted to hear from other keepers on enclosures, temperament/husbandry practices and whether to house communal or individual

I have done the research (opportunistic burrowers, dry enclosures, medium growth) and am really just soliciting advice from keepers experienced wtih this species.
TIA!

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ordered a 1/2" pair of these guys and wanted to hear from other keepers on enclosures, temperament/husbandry practices and whether to house communal or individual

I have done the research (opportunistic burrowers, dry enclosures, medium growth) and am really just soliciting advice from keepers experienced wtih this species.
TIA!
I responded to your post on the other forum.
"Communal" is sort of a taboo over here because a certain rude high horse on here will refuse to accept updated information and chastise anyone not accepting his way as the bible.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
They dont really require anything special. Pretty straight forward.
Got it. Thx.
Communal (paired) or individual?

I responded to your post on the other forum.
"Communal" is sort of a taboo over here because a certain rude high horse on here will refuse to accept updated information and chastise anyone not accepting his way as the bible.
Replied over there lol

I'm not worried about being admonished here. I value experienced keeper's opinions even if they don't agree with mine. The bible has been rewritten several times, and will likely be again.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Not when it comes to balfouri....they are pretty accepted as a commonal.
Assuming the slings ship packaged separately, is a community of two reasonable to start, and, can I add more individuals to the community in the future?

cold blood

Staff member
Assuming the slings ship packaged separately, is a community of two reasonable to start, and, can I add more individuals to the community in the future?
I would be concerned about adding additional balfouri in the future, although I have heard of it working out....but its something I would personally be too worried about to attempt. I have 3 in a communal, I also have another from another source that's smaller, and housed separately....I do not plan to ever add that one to the group of three.

I wouldn't start a communal with just two...but I did with three, sooooo...not much difference, right...so if you are inclined to do so, its your call.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
I would be concerned about adding additional balfouri in the future, although I have heard of it working out....but its something I would personally be too worried about to attempt. I have 3 in a communal, I also have another from another source that's smaller, and housed separately....I do not plan to ever add that one to the group of three.

I wouldn't start a communal with just two...but I did with three, sooooo...not much difference, right...so if you are inclined to do so, its your call.
That was my concern, too. Two is a crowd in some cases where four of more is just a bunch

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

TIA!

They are easy to keep. I wouldn't call them mellow however, They are more feisty than Ceratogyrus members I've kept. Even as 1-2" slings they may threat pose Keeping they are easy going, sub, cork bark and dish. They web a lot as you probably know so make sure you can clear the dish of webbing w/out disturbing them. You could outfit a setup using Excavator Clay if you wanted to resemble their native environment more, it's a wild looking island. There's a great video on a setup for them if I recall.

You'll easily be able to tell males from females once the males mature.

This is a bad idea for any species. It's always wise to start one up with all the roommates together. If you add another later one, potentially your 3 may become 2 again. Just remember if you do it, you risk nothing, but that new T is forced to risk its life through no choice of its own. So either you care about its life, or you don't. It's that simple, good luck!

Last edited:

LarsCody

Arachnosquire

TIA!
I have a communal set of 3 slings that I've had since almost the beginning of the year. I'd totally recommend it if you feel up to the challenge. I throw in about 6 small crickets a week and let them sort it out themselves. Contrary to some belief, no they don't seem aggressive towards one another let alone apt to munch one one of their brothers/sisters. Some might say they're more docile in a communal. I have no point of reference, but I've definitely still seen them threat posture in there. Some people say that a communal grows faster, but IMO that's only because I think some keepers are too paranoid about losing one to the others that keepers tend to overfeed.

These guys love to burrow and make web tunnels. Pretty amazing to watch. Imagine a baboon of another species and how much they web, now multiply that by however many you are keeping together.

As it's been said, I personally wouldn't risk adding more. Even ones that are separated overnight can be hostile towards one another the next day.

You seem to have the right idea with room to burrow, and dry enclosures. Only moisture I might recommend is some to start them off with, so they can start their burrow.

Do not underestimate these little guys. They can be testy and are extremely fast.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Just got 5 was going to do a small communal but they were just too small for the enclosure I had in mind. Mine are all doing great alone and scavenging on pieces of meal worms almost as soon as I put them in. These little guys are super sensitive to light though. That’s the one thing I’ve noticed, more so than any sling or adult I’ve ever had. So just a heads up

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just got 5 was going to do a small communal but they were just too small for the enclosure I had in mind. Mine are all doing great alone and scavenging on pieces of meal worms almost as soon as I put them in. These little guys are super sensitive to light though. That’s the one thing I’ve noticed, more so than any sling or adult I’ve ever had. So just a heads up
If yours are anything like mine, they should grow out of it once reaching juvie stage. I have one hanging out on the branch in the wide open at the moment and doesn't care that I'm shining my phone light on it.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Thanks for all the replies.

I've decided 2 is too few for a real community. I have no desire to lose animals to less than optimal conditions that I can control. Might consider a communal with 4+ in the future.

Saw a communal OBT video online, much lower cost of entry to that experiment if I decide to go that route lol

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Saw a communal OBT video online, much lower cost of entry to that experiment if I decide to go that route lol
From my experience, OBT would start eating each other by the time they start showing adult colour so keep that in mind (obviously beside the fact that if the experiment works, you will have to deal with multiple orange devils at the same time - the thought sends chill up my spine).

For a lower cost experiment than M. balfouri, try Neoholothele incei. They can have some attitudes to them but don't grow too large and from my experience is slightly more tolerant than Pokies.