M. balfouri from Ken the Bug Guy

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Picked this little guy up today from Ken's shop. So happy to finally add one of these to my growing family. IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1286.JPG

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lovely! If I were to make the jump to OW (beyond my token Pokie) M. balfouri is the species I'd get. So tempted by those gorgeous adult colors!

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Lovely! If I were to make the jump to OW (beyond my token Pokie) M. balfouri is the species I'd get. So tempted by those gorgeous adult colors!
Yeah i'm in love with their coloration. I hadn't even heard about this species until a month ago :p

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah i'm in love with their coloration. I hadn't even heard about this species until a month ago :p
Yeah, between the stunning colors and being able to keep them communally and watch the mothers take care of their young, this is actually the species I'd be most interested in trying to breed - if I were to breed tarantulas at all. (Of course, given the escape rate with my Paravaejovus scorplings, I'm not sure I'm ready to breed anything venomous! I thought the dang things weren't supposed to be able to climb??? They're double-boxed, so they aren't really getting out, but still...) :banghead:

dopamine

Arachnobaron
That's odd i assumed they couldn't climb either :/ Very frustrating! Glad you were smart enough to double box them though lol.
Yeah i've seen and heard lot's of people keeping these communally but it just doesn't interest me at the moment. Kind of takes the novelty away from them having so many in one spot, IMO.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Great. I have to get crickets there tomorrow.

Must...not...walk..out...with...yet...another..tarantula...

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Great. I have to get crickets there tomorrow.

Must...not...walk..out...with...yet...another..tarantula...
Tell me about it. That's basically how i ended up with the last 8 spiders i have. Apparently they received a giant order the other day so they've got all this new stuff. Couple newer species too (I. zorodes & P. bromilocola i believe) My wallet hurts.

Last edited:

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
They've been trying to tempt me. I just got a chalcodes from them the other day. I really don't need another right this second...

Btw, crickets bought and I am proud of myself, I resisted the urge.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Haha you've got more will power than I do I guess. Is your chalcodes an adult or sling?

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
You lucky dog! :mad: M. balfouri may be my favorite species currently (Or maybe T. seladonia) I need one, but I'm trying to stick to only what will let me gain experience for my end goal: S. calceatum. My next T should be a Tapi, gonna try not to veer off this path :rofl: (Say that to the C. lividum and N. chromatus I just obtained this week)

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Wow those seladonia's are beautiful!
There's a sub-adult calceatum at the shop I got my balfouri sling from. I've been close to leaving with it a few times now. My next T is going to be Psalmopoeus cambridgei if I can find one.

cold blood

Staff member
Wow those seladonia's are beautiful!
There's a sub-adult calceatum at the shop I got my balfouri sling from. I've been close to leaving with it a few times now. My next T is going to be Psalmopoeus cambridgei if I can find one.
Message me

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just went to Reticon in Costa Mesa today - was REALLY tempted by Joe Rossi's M. balfoui slings! (Along with a couple of other things, like the P. sazimai and the P. irminia!) I ended up leaving empty-handed - this time - but I suspect it's only a matter of time before I make the jump to OW terrestrials.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Haha you've got more will power than I do I guess. Is your chalcodes an adult or sling?
I got one of their sub-adult, female chalcodes. I just don't have the patience to get a sling of one of those.

They brought out four when I picked this girl out, so there should be some there if you want one. I just wanted to have one of the local tarantulas, and this specimen also seems to check off my "very docile T" box (I have a rosea, but she is super skittish).

I've seen one of the calceatum slings. That is one species that I will NEVER get. Sorry, but that's a big nope for me.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
You must've bought the one they had out on display cause it disappeared lol. Were the ones they showed you all adult/sub adults?
Thanks for the heads up, they're definitely on my list!

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
I don't think I bought the display one. It was in a deli cup like the other three chalcodes. The only display animal I've gotten from them is my big klugi. She's the adult klugi they had out near the checkout counter a couple of months ago.

cold blood

Staff member
I suspect it's only a matter of time before I make the jump to OW terrestrials.
When you are ready, these are my 2 suggestions, A. ezendami or C. marshalli (with a shout out to darlingi). The ceratogryus are always out, the ezendami are also out a fair amount of the time and tend to be about as non-confrontational as a baboon can get.