M. balfouri communal and potential egg sac

zchristina

Arachnopeon
I've had a communal going with 4 adults, 3 Males and 1 Female for about 2 1/2 years now. I noticed about a week ago that the female had dug to the bottom and from what I see it looks like she laid a hammock like sac. When flashing a light beneath it, it does have a yellowish? hue to the center of it. I honestly didn't think the female was fully matured yet but she was looking super thick in the abdomen these past months. She's been holed up in the burrow for about a week now.

I'm looking for some tips on how to proceed if this is a successful sac, and if there is something that I should do in the mean time ie. less/more water or temperature changes. I'm hoping the males won't be an issue but at this point I can't imagine getting them out...

I've only bred/raised N. incei slings from sac so my experience is limited. I appreciate any info and help anyone can provide.

image.png

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Just leave the female alone with the sac and try not to bother her too much. Usually the egg sac from within will have enough humidity to where you don't necessarily need to add moisture to the sub. So as long as the sac is not exposed to where the eggs are out then you should be fine. Wait and see and some other members can offer some advice that may be helpful as well.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
The question is do you want your communal expanded or do you want to sell/trade the offspring away? If you want a truly monster sized communal, leave the eggsack with the female and when you notice the slings exiting the eggsack and you no longer need to worry about stressing the mom out, modify the enclosure's ventilation to prevent escape. If you want to distribute the offspring to other hobbyists/dealers, pull the eggsack around 30 days and finish the incubation artificially. The third option would be to let the sack go full term and then tear down the enclosure to collect and separate the slings, but it's not an ideal route to take.