M. balfouri Communal advice?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You’re unhelpful and I’m not searching to find the link you didn’t provide.

Many people have successfully had M. balfouri communal’s. The only species I’d ever attempt it in. ‘Ian Tarantula’ has a 25 large communal very successfully!! Tom Moran, Dark Den, Mark’s Tarantula’s, The Tarantula Collective, etc. at various numbers.

I see your an ‘old timer’ but you also write like one, close minded and unproductive to sharing YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with a communal. If you’ve never tried then you really have no business saying anything to be honest. Have a great night!!
I’m not here to help someone do something that is not supported by science in this context.

I’ll point it out each time I see it.

I don’t care what any hobbyist has to offer on this topic. I speak with scientists, ie world experts. Who know far more than anyone here about various T related info. This is one of them.

I’ve talked to an arachnologist about this
communal crap- their response “there’s no reports of any Ts living communally in the wild”

Captivity can induce unnatural behavior.

Write like an old timer- what a joke.

I obtain information from world experts vs StupidTube uploaders hahaha

Many people have successfully murdered someone, doesn’t make it right.

Last edited:

mvbrown21

Arachnopeon
Hi OP,

There has been some really helpful replies here and some not so helpful replies. (IMO)

This is personal preference and like most things there will be people that disagree with me. (That is fine)

I have 2 communal setups, of the 2 the one is a M. Balfouri enclosure. I put the slings in a enclosure that was much bigger than what they needed (a lot bigger) but my anchor points and cork bark was in the middle and they seemed to hover towards it. I used to give them bigger meals (crickets, heads crushed) and would often see 2 slings feasting on once carcass. I also did not want to rehouse too often and since I got them about 3 years ago I have only had to rehouse them twice. Of the 9 I had one has died. (Cause was not clear, was around 11 months since getting them)

My PERSONAL opinion has always been that enclosure size isn't that big of a deal as many make it out to be, it is just more convenient to use appropriately sized enclosures when it comes to feeding and maintenance.

Good luck with your enclosure, it is really something else knowing that you have more than 1 T in a enclosure :)
Thank you for sharing your experience! I feel confident now moving forward with the larger enclosure(8x10). I think I may try your idea of placing the hides in the center and building from there as they grow.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
You’re unhelpful and I’m not searching to find the link you didn’t provide.

Many people have successfully had M. balfouri communal’s. The only species I’d ever attempt it in. ‘Ian Tarantula’ has a 25 large communal very successfully!! Tom Moran, Dark Den, Mark’s Tarantula’s, The Tarantula Collective, etc. at various numbers.

I see your an ‘old timer’ but you also write like one, close minded and unproductive to sharing YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with a communal. If you’ve never tried then you really have no business saying anything to be honest. Have a great night!!
Viper does make a valid point though :) Cannibalism can happen at any given moment.

I have seen my M. Balfouri going for each other countless times even when they are fat from a meal. I really do enjoy my communal setups but if I could go back I would not do it again :) I am keeping the communal setups as is since I have no space for 12 more enclosures if I had to put each in their own enclosure XD

Just don't take it lightly, Viper does have valid points and is correct 99% of the time even if he comes across as aggressive :p

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I’m not here to help someone do something that is not supported by science in this context.

I don’t care what any hobbyist has to offer on this topic. I speak with scientists, ie world experts. Who know far more than anyone here about various T related info. This is one of them.

communal crap- their response “there’s no reports of any Ts living communally in the wild”

I might have gotten excited and motivated OP even more, it is exciting but I do agree it is unnatural. Hence why I said I would not do it again knowing what I know now.

As stated my Balfouri actually go for each other quite often, if they were communal animals and content with the fact they would not try to eat each other. I 100% believe that my 8 are still alive due to enclosure size and pure luck.

mvbrown21

Arachnopeon

Well, good sir, it has been scientifically proven that other spiders DO work together in communal’s so I don’t think it’s too far of a stretch that potentially T’s could as well. Can you share with me a ‘scholarly article’ that specifically points out the M. balfouri is specifically solitary because I haven’t found it?

I actually own a Nuisance Wildlife company and have partnered multiple times with the local University on different projects. I know how things work. There’s many ‘observations’ made that never make it into an article. Not because it’s untrue, but because with wildlife, there’s often too many variables or an inability to observe directly, more than a handful of times, to support the claim imperatively. Sometimes funding just runs out before it can be reproduced. Science isn’t an end all be all with wildlife. It’s a process. You should know this, being an old timer and all. And the fact that M. balfouri, yes, in captivity, exhibits this unique trait more times than not, does stand it apart. So, save your name drops. I work with wildlife specifically as my life’s work and wildlife is not contained to scholarly article. I can attest to that.

mvbrown21

Arachnopeon
I might have gotten excited and motivated OP even more, it is exciting but I do agree it is unnatural. Hence why I said I would not do it again knowing what I know now.

As stated my Balfouri actually go for each other quite often, if they were communal animals and content with the fact they would not try to eat each other. I 100% believe that my 8 are still alive due to enclosure size and pure luck.
So do humans....and yet we’re communal. For example, we’re doing it right now!!!

mvbrown21

Arachnopeon
Viper does make a valid point though :) Cannibalism can happen at any given moment.

I have seen my M. Balfouri going for each other countless times even when they are fat from a meal. I really do enjoy my communal setups but if I could go back I would not do it again :) I am keeping the communal setups as is since I have no space for 12 more enclosures if I had to put each in their own enclosure XD

Just don't take it lightly, Viper does have valid points and is correct 99% of the time even if he comes across as aggressive :p
I honestly can’t think of a single animal that lives communally that doesn’t kill each other for some reason or another....maybe fish...

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
So do humans....and yet we’re communal. For example, we’re doing it right now!!!
Sigh, what have I done. I have just motivated a person to experiment with a communal setup that compares T's to humans...I never learn :rolleyes:

I honestly can’t think of a single animal that lives communally that doesn’t kill each other for some reason or another....maybe fish...
I am not going to get involved in a debate. I have given you my experience, you will experience the same thing guaranteed. Your Balfouri will eat each other unless you have the luck I have had. There is nothing you can do to stop this unless you rehouse them in their own enclosure. You seem to be justifying them killing each other because other animals do it, yet you have full control over the fact :)

Take my experience and do what you will, since a person will go ahead with their idea 90% of the time if they have made up their mind and it gives them a level of excitement.

Once again, good luck :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, good sir, it has been scientifically proven that other spiders DO work together in communal’s so I don’t think it’s too far of a stretch that potentially T’s could as well. Can you share with me a ‘scholarly article’ that specifically points out the M. balfouri is specifically solitary because I haven’t found it?

I actually own a Nuisance Wildlife company and have partnered multiple times with the local University on different projects. I know how things work. There’s many ‘observations’ made that never make it into an article. Not because it’s untrue, but because with wildlife, there’s often too many variables or an inability to observe directly, more than a handful of times, to support the claim imperatively. Sometimes funding just runs out before it can be reproduced. Science isn’t an end all be all with wildlife. It’s a process. You should know this, being an old timer and all. And the fact that M. balfouri, yes, in captivity, exhibits this unique trait more times than not, does stand it apart. So, save your name drops. I work with wildlife specifically as my life’s work and wildlife is not contained to scholarly article. I can attest to that.
You keep harping on old timer, as if I’m old, and as if it means anything peon :rofl::lol:

Do you know how titles are assigned here- length of time as an AB member, not by your age. I could be 18 yrs of age, or 30, or 100...:rolleyes: :lol:

We have quite a few members who started here at 13 years of age, and are old timers.:cool:

I didn’t drop any names. That would be rude of me to involve someone’s name on a forum without asking that person.

You were the one that dropped hobbyist names, including one of the AB members.

Again no T has been observed living communally according to science.

HOWEVER, to your point above indeed it is possible some observations haven’t been published, or that only locals have some knowledge that scientists do not have.

Science is indeed a process, and so far science has not reported that a single communal species exists.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you for sharing your experience! I feel confident now moving forward with the larger enclosure(8x10). I think I may try your idea of placing the hides in the center and building from there as they grow.
This is exactly what I told you from the beginning :) .

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone,

I’m getting 7 slings here soon and wanted your opinion on what size enclosure you think I should start with for them? I’d like to only rehouse once if possible but maybe that’s unrealistic. Also, do you think the whole excavator clay setup commonly seen should be saved for the adult enclosure or would it be prudent for the sling/juvi enclosure as well? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Purely for my own curiosity, how long have you been keeping T's?

mvbrown21

Arachnopeon
This is exactly what I told you from the beginning :) .
You were the first. I just wanted a confirmation. I do appreciate it and thank you. Since the conversation has turned negative I am curious have you experienced any cannibalism on any unnatural level as others have pointed out?

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
You were the first. I just wanted a confirmation. I do appreciate it and thank you. Since the conversation has turned negative I am curious have you experienced any cannibalism on any unnatural level as others have pointed out?
To be fair, you did turn the thread towards a negative when you took personal insult to a person posting their opinion on the internet :rofl: I am fairly certain @viper69 has nothing but the well being of T's in mind when posting and quite directly I might add. I am sure he has no hidden agenda against you :)

mvbrown21

Arachnopeon
Purely for my own curiosity, how long have you been keeping T's?
Long enough to not be asked that question based on a simple advice thread. It’s not a complicated hobby as many like to make it IMO. There’s a trial and error phase and that’s that. There is nothing special about any of us and I’m growing rather sick of these forums tbh with the elitist attitude. You’re not special and neither am I. I grew up around bugs. My Father ran one of the biggest pest control companies in the nation. They had(still have) a ‘bug’ room with a collection most would die for. Far beyond just ‘pests’. It’s literally in my blood. Multiple generations. I work with ‘wildlife’ now and the wildlife we work with harbor a tremendous amount of inverts by consequence. I respect and understand a ‘newbies’ fear, lack of understanding, etc. but please, ffs, can everyone get off their high horse. There is literally nothing special about any of us. Seriously. I simply asked for experienced advice about something I’m 100% doing. Save the moral high ground. Put things into perspective about what this hobby really is. An observational fascination with Spiders. What they can do and what they might do. Maybe it’s because I’ve seen, literally thousands of deaths, of animals, both inverts and mammals, that I have my perspective but please stop. It was a simple advice question. Not a lecture.... Thanks

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
No, and I don’t know anyone or have read anywhere of cannibalism with this species. I am sure it can, has and will happen eventually due to the nature of a Tarantula but this species is unique.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Long enough to not be asked that question based on a simple advice thread. It’s not a complicated hobby as many like to make it IMO. There’s a trial and error phase and that’s that. There is nothing special about any of us and I’m growing rather sick of these forums tbh with the elitist attitude. You’re not special and neither am I. I grew up around bugs. My Father ran one of the biggest pest control companies in the nation. They had(still have) a ‘bug’ room with a collection most would die for. Far beyond just ‘pests’. It’s literally in my blood. Multiple generations. I work with ‘wildlife’ now and the wildlife we work with harbor a tremendous amount of inverts by consequence. I respect and understand a ‘newbies’ fear, lack of understanding, etc. but please, ffs, can everyone get off their high horse. There is literally nothing special about any of us. Seriously. I simply asked for experienced advice about something I’m 100% doing. Save the moral high ground. Put things into perspective about what this hobby really is. An observational fascination with Spiders. What they can do and what they might do. Maybe it’s because I’ve seen, literally thousands of deaths, of animals, both inverts and mammals, that I have my perspective but please stop. It was a simple advice question. Not a lecture.... Thanks
So I got all of this from a simple question, triggered much?

So let me elaborate. (Didn't think it necessary since I assumed you are not a child, I was clearly mistaken)

I am asking how long you have been keeping (For my own curiosity as I clearly stated) because I have family members that have recently taken up the hobby of keeping T's. (4 of them to be exact, wouldn't want a article again) I was merely curious to see if the idea of a communal setup is as intriguing for people who are new to the hobby or if it tickles the curiosity of "seasoned" keepers as well.

I highly suggest that you stop coming online if every small question " Purely for my own curiosity, how long have you been keeping T's? " triggers you into throwing a fit and then proceeding to justify yourself by listing why you are well versed in animal keeping.

Stop being a snowflake please :) I asked a simple question, if you considered that a lecture or a jab at your "knowledge" of animal keeping then that is your problem and indicates that you are indeed small minded.

I have lost all interest in this conversation and it is really sad to see how fragile your ego is.

Happy keeping

mvbrown21

Arachnopeon
So I got all of this from a simple question, triggered much?

So let me elaborate. (Didn't think it necessary since I assumed you are not a child, I was clearly mistaken)

I am asking how long you have been keeping (For my own curiosity as I clearly stated) because I have family members that have recently taken up the hobby of keeping T's. (4 of them to be exact, wouldn't want a article again) I was merely curious to see if the idea of a communal setup is as intriguing for people who are new to the hobby or if it tickles the curiosity of "seasoned" keepers as well.

I highly suggest that you stop coming online if every small question " Purely for my own curiosity, how long have you been keeping T's? " triggers you into throwing a fit and then proceeding to justify yourself by listing why you are well versed in animal keeping.

Stop being a snowflake please :) I asked a simple question, if you considered that a lecture or a jab at your "knowledge" of animal keeping then that is your problem and indicates that you are indeed small minded.

I have lost all interest in this conversation and it is really sad to see how fragile your ego is.

Happy keeping
Have a good night. Thank you for your advice on the larger setup for the communal.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don’t know anyone or have read anywhere of cannibalism with this species
You will now!!! ;)

an experienced OW breeder owned these- until some were eaten—raised quite a few generations. Bought some from this person a while back.

I don’t make this stuff up (not saying you did!), have better things to do than lie.;):lol:

Have fun! :cool: @mvbrown21 there’s the link for you served up on a spoon. It’s up to you to click and educate yourself.

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
You will now!!! ;)

an experienced OW breeder owned these- until some were eaten—raised quite a few generations. Bought some from this person a while back.

I don’t make this stuff up (not saying you did!), have better things to do than lie.;):lol:

Have fun! :cool:

Have discussion link? Would be interested in reading about it other than the I know a guy theory.