M. balfouri Communal advice?

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
No, and I don’t know anyone or have read anywhere of cannibalism with this species.
You will now!!! ;)

an experienced OW breeder owned these- until some were eaten—raised quite a few generations. Bought some from this person a while back.
PURELY TRYING TO HELP !!! PLEASE DO NOT STONE ME.....

If it's all the same to you @jrh3 you can pm me with you email address and I can share footage of M. Balfouri catching and eating each other in a well established communal setup that has been problem free for over a year when 2 of the T's decided to cannibalize their "friends". Out of the 6 T's there are 3 left.

I am NOT saying this will happen 100% of the time :)

I wonder if the day comes where I can convince myself to stop fighting a losing battle if that would bring me more happiness :rolleyes: Guess I will never find out...I must be stupid :depressed:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

If it's all the same to you @jrh3 you can pm me with you email address and I can share footage of M. Balfouri catching and eating each other in a well established communal setup that has been problem free for over a year when 2 of the T's decided to cannibalize their "friends". Out of the 6 T's there are 3 left.

I wonder if the day comes where I can convince myself to stop fighting a losing battle if that would bring me more happiness :rolleyes: Guess I will never find out...I must be stupid :depressed:
Not stupid! Providing sound advice is always good.

You should post the video though as so many people attempt this, and very few believe they may eat each other.

Arm people with knowledge is my approach.

I think you explained things well- but seeing is believing hence me digging up that link.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Not stupid! Providing sound advice is always good.

You should post the video though as so many people attempt this, and very few believe they may eat each other.

Arm people with knowledge is my approach.

I think you explained things well- but seeing is believing hence me digging up that link.
I was part of another well known forum on T keeping. Upon posting the videos I received some very nasty messages from the "experts" as was expected. Apparently if you do not have the same views and you provide proof then the videos are at fault, you need time stamps, forensic analysis to prove the videos weren't tampered with and 24/7 surveillance of said enclosure so you can be sure the T's weren't swapped out :embarrassed: I kid you not some people made the statement that this person swapped out the T's after a year of caring for them just to make a BS video to prove a point online.....This is what it has come to.

So I will gladly send any and all videos to your email address or even upload them and pm you with a video link.. I will however not try and convince a whole board that communal keeping is not sustainable or a good idea because it is met with people who are too stubborn to have a decent debate with you without calling you a liar or without them typing out all the reasons why they are the best and foremost experts on T keeping :bored:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +

I would like to see the video, I will send you my email if needed but you know posting the video here would be very beneficial to anyone now and in the future. Proof of cannibalism on this forum would greatly benefit keepers that come here wanting to know if they are 100% successful.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
You lost me.. clarify please
What I am saying is that you stated an experienced OW breeder has experienced cannibalism with M. Balfouri, what I was trying to get across was, do you have link to this data or are we just going off of your word from what you were told. Not that I doubt you, you offer tons of good to the hobby, I would like to see for myself or get it straight from the horses mouth if you would say.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What I am saying is that you stated an experienced OW breeder has experienced cannibalism with M. Balfouri, what I was trying to get across was, do you have link to this data or are we just going off of your word from what you were told. Not that I doubt you, you offer tons of good to the hobby, I would like to see for myself or get it straight from the horses mouth if you would say.
The link I provided has the pictures to demonstrate a nice balfouri lunch, it’s not the owner’s words alone, but also the owner’s pics.

I guess you didn’t click :watchingyou: ;), hence you didn’t see I believe.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I find it funny that the OP is using the term "old timer" as an insult or a way of calling someone old. I'm in my mid 30's but have been on this forum for 17 years ;-)

@viper69 and I (along with many others on here) have seen the various species that have been the "communal craze species of the day" many different times and after several years people eventually realize that communals only work UNTIL THEY DON'T.

I've seen it when all of the following were thought to be communal and none of them were communal in a long term sense:
Avicularia avicularia (and other Avicularia)
Hysterocrates gigas
Neoholothele incei
Poecilotheria, particularly P. metallica
And I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Oh, my old timer memory finally started working again :cool: ,
A couple others that were thought to be communal (these were both short term compared to the others above):
Heterothele villosella
Cyriocosmus elegans

I once kept Lasiodora parahybana communal as slings for a few days/will to let them trim the number of slings down (didn't need 500 slings)

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Don’t ever pay attention to idiots when you have direct proof, post away here.
Calling forum members idiots is direct violation of the forums rules, just saying.... post away here.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Calling forum members idiots is direct violation of the forums rules, just saying.... post away here.
Maybe you missed it...I explained that people from another Forum disagreed with me. @viper69 then posted Don't pay attention to idiots. Thus this refers to the people from the other forum...Unless you live by the saying that goes "If the shoe fits" :)

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Maybe you missed it...I explained that people from another Forum disagreed with me. @viper69 then posted Don't pay attention to idiots. Thus this refers to the people from the other forum...Unless you live by the saying that goes "If the shoe fits" :)
My bad, I misinterpreted it. :)

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
So, I'm gonna be sincere here, not rude, just extremely sincere, it's always good to be clear first. Lol.

Since I have an adult female, paired her 4x already, the first male lived with her from the time he got mature, til he died in there and, here's an interesting thing:
In this period, I saw him got outside the burrow where the two of them lived, got a prey, entered the burrow again and shared the prey with the female. They were also almost all the time together, the male died after a year, because he was old.

That said, she killed all the other 3 males, 2 of them she ate, the other she just killed and left there. I also noticed she ate a few slings and to complete, some friends of mine related canibalism between those slings, from the same eggsac.

I dont know why these things happened, looking up for articles and couldn't find any scientifical evidence about communal and/or behaviors like the 1st paired showed, in situ.

So, I also believe communals aren't a natural thing and, answering to your thread (which asks for advice), my suggestion to you is don't do it.

Sure you can have a good experience like lots of keepers have, but you also can be part of the group I belong, which is the bad ones. Lol.

Anyways, think of your Ts and how is the best and safer way for them to be kept, not how you'd like for them to be kept.

Last thing, IMO, there's a difference between communal species and tolerant ones, tarantulas are in the second group, and some of them can be really intolerant. :)

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was calling people in general idiots. Humans beings do remarkably stupid things.

Example- if you posted about people making fun of your clothes and it affected your behavior, my earlier post applies here!