Lycosidae (wolf spider) husbandry

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I would like to start keeping wolf spiders and have been trying to find information on their husbandry first. Searching the forum has given me conflicting information (including no substrate versus deep substrate for burrowing) and it does not appear there are any books on keeping spiders other than tarantulas.

Does Lycosidae husbandry vary greatly by genus/species? How much space do they need relative to adult size? If someone could give me an overview or point me to a good source of such information, I would be very grateful!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've kept mine (Hogna sp.) in large Critter Keepers, Breeding boxes (https://www.amazon.com/Lees-Herp-Ha...UTF8&qid=1488817921&sr=1-5&keywords=faunarium), and 12"x12" screen-top glass cages. They are more active than my tarantulas and like to roam around a bit. I use sand or a sand/coconut fiber blend for substrate to mimic the substrate where I caught them. I also provide a small hide and bits of shrub or leaves. None of them have shown any inclination to burrow, though I know they will do so in the wild. Perhaps they don't like the substrate I've provided, or maybe in the wild they are more likely to take advantage of pre-existing burrows. I feed them crickets about once a week or so and they are aggressive feeders, tackling the crickets right away.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Couldn't have added any more to Chanda's post, pretty much everything there. Try getting a Hogna carolinensis. Super fast hunters and grow to a decent size too.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There's definitely variation depending on the genus species. Arctosa need high humidity, good ventilation, and a sandy substrate because they're found only along sandy rivers and lake edges. Geolycosa need a deep sand-cocofiber substrate because they're fossorial and typically found in sand prairies and sandy scrub forests. Most others will do fine on just cocofiber. Hogna seem to be very good at adapting to new environments, so I think pretty much anything you do will work. No matter what lycosid you get, you can expect a lot of activity and a good appetite too.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Thank you so much for the helpful information! :D Two more questions on Hogna carolinensis or wolf spiders in general:
1) Approximately how long do they take to mature?
2) Do the males eat post maturity? I've read that mature male Kukulcania as well as jumping spiders do not and am wondering whether this is true of spiders generally and tarantulas are just an exception.

Thank you again! :happy:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1. Should only take a few months, though it depends on what temp you keep them at and how often you feed them.
2. Yes, though they won't be as interested as they were before maturing.

And as a correction to what I said before, Geolycosa won't be very active since it's a pet hole, but they still have the standard lycosid appetite. Makes keeping them kind of weird lol.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Thank you! :D I think I will get Hogna carolinensis or Hogna lenta -- depending on what BugsInCyberspace has in stock and it looks like they may be getting in a good number of the latter. Has anyone kept Hogna lenta and know approximately how long the females and males live (in total or post-maturity)? Such information is frustratingly lacking online! :grumpy:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Thank you! :D I think I will get Hogna carolinensis or Hogna lenta -- depending on what BugsInCyberspace has in stock and it looks like they may be getting in a good number of the latter. Has anyone kept Hogna lenta and know approximately how long the females and males live (in total or post-maturity)? Such information is frustratingly lacking online! :grumpy:
Check out @Smokehound714 's post:
Hogna/schizocosa/Tigrosa- May reach 5 years with proper care- increasing photoperiods and giving shorter dark periods will extend their lifespan
in this thread:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/long-lived-true-spiders.290951/#post-2583717

Also, check your inbox. ;)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I got some wolf spiders from BugsInCyberspace from Florida which I believe are Hogna lenta. This is a photo of one at the bottom of an 8 oz deli container as I was rehousing it:

I put each in an Exo Terra medium enclosure with half an inch of coir, a small cave and a water dish. The enclosures seem so huge for them! They do not seem to be any more active than my tarantulas and most have burrowed into the substrate. I'm wondering if they might not prefer a smaller enclosure with deeper substrate? And is it okay to keep the substrate fairly dry or should it be slightly damp? Would adding sand to the substrate be a good thing?

Also, is there a way to distinguish between mature and immature females wolf spiders?

Thank you all!