Lycosidae ID. Alopecosa?

mosca

Arachnopeon
This spider is from Gibraltar, near southern Spain.
Gravid female

male

The female has made an egg sack but has attached it to the wall/roof of the enclosure. She is very attentive and careful and has closed herself in with egg sack in a thin vail of web.
They are both very good climbers and the male spends most of the time high up on branches.

Can anyone give me a good ID on them? could they be Alopecosa?, Though I'm unsure of the arboreal lifestyle they are demonstrating. They are stunning spiders and fascinating to watch so would love to know more about them.

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Zoropsis spinimana (Zoropsidae). One of the most interesting Mediterranean spiders. :)

mosca

Arachnopeon
Fantastic!!!!! Thanks Tarantula_Hawk. It looks like you have found it. :worship:
I've been looking for days but couldnt get it :)
Any idea how many young they have? :eek:

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They generally lay 60-70 eggs, but of course this amount can vary depending on several factors (ex: nutrition). The hatchlings are hardy and easy to keep, especially if you have access to fruit flies. It takes approximately 7-8months for them to mature. Lifespan of adults varies depending on different things. Usually they mature at the end of the summer, mate in autumn, overwinter and deposit the eggsac in spring. They die during the summer, either at the start or sometimes can live up until late summer.
It's a beautiful spider, excellent hunter and makes for great pet. It's also fairly aggressive so watchout for your fingers :D (the bite however is harmless).

By the way you have 2 females, no males. :)

mosca

Arachnopeon
lol, Two females!!!
I found they co-habitating so presumed they must be male & female. Are they obviously sexually dimorphic?
Thanks fr the info and apologies for more questions. They are quite stunning and active in quite odd ways :)

What I thought was a male is also very aggressive as in, it runs at me rather than away.

Would you have any links to papers or extra info?

Thanks again though, very helpful.