Lychas sp. communal?

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is this genus generally considered communal? If so how communal? (Eg anything goes, mothers rearing young with others, or be wary, they can and do eat eachother from time to time).

Cheers

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think Lychas mucronatus are among the most communal scorps there are.
I have been told they do best in large groups (and are more active) but I haven't been able to get enough to find out.:(
Cheers
Dave Mc

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont think he was suggesting they were communal as it took 45 mins to find 5, but that he is keeping them communally.
Well basically by keeping them comunally he is showing that they can be kept that way.

Aillith

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They might be ok communally most of the time, but they'll still may kill each other if they decide thats what they want to do.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the first brood my girl produced, they babies killed and ate each other as they molted till there was one left. I had my C. gracilis do this also. From my experience, I would separate all the babies the next time I have any. In our local pet store, they have a group of L. mucronatus of different sizes living together in the same tank. They are all hanging out close together like emps do except they are on a fake cactus. No other hides in there.

Sharon

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is important to note that while most barkscorpions can easily live together as adults, it is very common for younger instars to be very opportunistic when siblings molt and are defenseless.
If you have adult Lychas sp., they should do fine together, but it is best to separate the young as soon as they leave the mother. They can be reintroduced when they are mature.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the first brood my girl produced, they babies killed and ate each other as they molted till there was one left. I had my C. gracilis do this also. From my experience, I would separate all the babies the next time I have any. In our local pet store, they have a group of L. mucronatus of different sizes living together in the same tank. They are all hanging out close together like emps do except they are on a fake cactus. No other hides in there.

Sharon

because they know that they are not safe or they dont feel that they are on their natural environment, so their instincs will be "stick together team" so that atleast they can feel that they are not in danger. if they live on a terrarium w/ almost 0 disturbance it might be like "open fire" w/ "friendlyfire 99999999" or "-betray" (AFB){D . and also some will feel territorial in some times so fighting for territory might end to cannibalism.

but still keep on eye to your pets (especially buthids) if they are kept communual

good luck for those
:D

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi guys, i don keep them communel,. when they r young and adult. i don see much canabalisation , i have breed and have many off spings so far and i had only 1-2 cases of cannabalisation when very young 4th instar and below :) hope it helps kahoy, if they r adults no problem IME

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So can youngsters be kept with other youngsters? How about youngsters with adults?

I'm gonna try and get a kick ass set up sorted :D

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would only keep adults together otherwise you might have casualties when they molt.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For simplicity sake, it's easier to wait to you have enough individuals before trying to start a colony or keeping communally, that way if anything happens, A) Your not out any money B) You don't become inable to breed C) One you have enough for a good colony, it won't matter losing some, plus we won't have to read another one of those boring my scorp died threads.. LOL :)

Thats my opinion. Good luck.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
plus we won't have to read another one of those boring my scorp died threads.. LOL :)

Thats my opinion. Good luck.
But we all love those threads! :rolleyes:
I should flood the board with pics of everything I have in my freezer or in alcohol;)
Well, maybe one specimen would be interesting.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I should flood the board with pics of everything I have in my freezer or in alcohol;)
Well, maybe one specimen would be interesting.
Crono, this is definently my favorite post of the month.
Haha.

But yes, your right, the board would flood if every person with more than 2 species decided to post everytime one kicked the bucket. We'd have to change the name to arachnodeaths.com LOL Those posts are so uesless though, a lot of the time I want to respond with "and...." but there is a minimum character limit on the boards. :(

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You've got to remember though that to alot of people on here scorpions are more than just insects which they keep and enjoy (as they are to me) they are pets much in the way a hamster is.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
By the way...did I mention that I had a scorpion die the other day.....{D

Seriously...I know someone that gave their scorpion a real burial, box and all. It does make me wonder.......:?

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
By the way...did I mention that I had a scorpion die the other day.....{D

Seriously...I know someone that gave their scorpion a real burial, box and all. It does make me wonder.......:?

Sorry for your loss. That's sad news. You'll get another one someday.:(

Did I miss any of the usual replies?:D

Oh, me too. A 3rd instar L. scutilus. I gave it a proper burial in my trashbin. It is now burried in 3 inches of used cocopeat substrate.:p