Lychas Marmoreus

Ecstasy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I briefly spoke to a friend of mine yesterday who owns a petstore and is getting a order of scorpions and Lychas Marmoreus are on it. All are claimed to be CB, and I did a bit of research and I seen that they're native to Australia, so I'm assuming they're pretty rare?. He's getting some Androctonus spp, along with Hottentotta spp and T. Stigmurus & T.Serrulatus and Parabuthus as well.

I can't seem to locate my Lychas Scutilus so I figured I'd settle for L. Marmoreus, but I also read about they're difficult to breed in captivity, so I may just get them and keep one or two and sell the rest to somebody who will probably have more luck then me.

I'm just basically wondering if it's a species worth getting as I'm getting them for a little over what he's paying for them.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have never seen these L.marmoreus in the european hobby circuit, so yeah, here the are very rare. I am guessing the same counts for the US. Where did you read they are difficult to breed?

At home I have a book from Mark Newton about Australian scorps....

Ecstasy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It was a page that came up when I googled, sent you a msg with the link.

Edit:
So it's confirmed I'm getting 7 of them @ a very good price. I'll probably end up selling all but one or two as I'm not really interested in them.

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wish i could make the trip. many of those species i wanna get.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It was a page that came up when I googled, sent you a msg with the link.

Edit:
So it's confirmed I'm getting 7 of them @ a very good price. I'll probably end up selling all but one or two as I'm not really interested in them.

If you plan on selling them, do it as a group of 5 at least. That way they are part of a breeding group. PM me if you want to unload them.

John

Ecstasy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you plan on selling them, do it as a group of 5 at least. That way they are part of a breeding group. PM me if you want to unload them.

John
I'll definitely sell the 5 to you then, because I'm only going to keep the two odd balls until I can actually locate one of the two species I want, or C. Margaritatus as a third species. I'll let you know when I get them as I'm going to give him a call in a bit to find out when he is receiving them.

richoman3

Arachnosquire
lychas marmerous is one of my fave species, mainly because you can keep them communal (not many scorps in australia you can do that with)
i personally have never kept them but getting my first ones next week :D,
ive seen them before at my mates, there are heaps here in australia, the most common species

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
How is their sting? Are they a medically significant species?
I have heard that they are considered one of the more venomous species in Australia, but their venom toxicity is probably moderate, a "3 out of 5" on a venom scale, at the most.

Ecstasy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not too familiar on the species aside from how to keep them but I've been trying to find information but there isn't much out there.

richoman3

Arachnosquire
they have one of the most painful stings in australia, but no species in australia can do harm to humans, just a little bit of pain and swelling, nothing much. Though it could be a little worse if you have an allergic reaction.

Ecstasy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm glad I know somebody that is familiar with them locally.

Though I thought it was illegal to own scorpions in Australia?

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm glad I know somebody that is familiar with them locally.

Though I thought it was illegal to own scorpions in Australia?

I think the only inverts and reptiles they can own in Australia are the native species. They have some real cool species. I'd like to get the spider eating species. They can export species if they are a few generations of true captive breeding efforts. AT least thats what I think has to happen. We did get a few Australian tarantulas recently.

richoman3

Arachnosquire
we can only keep native species.
we cant keep any species from Northern Territory or Western Australia though and thats where all the good ones are !!!,

it is illegal to export any out of australia know matter what generation they are ;)

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very lucky if that is what they actually are. I believe they can also be found in New Guinea as well, and more than likely that is where yours will be hailing from instead of Australia. The Lychas genus is very underrated scorpion genus.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Very lucky if that is what they actually are. I believe they can also be found in New Guinea as well, and more than likely that is where yours will be hailing from instead of Australia. The Lychas genus is very underrated scorpion genus.
What do you mean by underrated? How are they underrated?

richoman3

Arachnosquire
my 3 arrived today :D
fabulous scorps!,
cant wait to get more.
should be getting another 15 soon :p