Lychas and Apistobuthus

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know I may be taking a shot in the dark here but does anyone on this forum keep either of these? And if so why are they so D@#$ difficult to get in the US? It pains me deeply that our hobby here is so confined :wall:! Well if anyone does possibly know where to get any of these, especially L scutilus and A pterygocerus, PLEASE let me know

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lychas can be kept like tityus scorpions, not that hard. They aren't imported very often. Good luck finding Apistobuthus. They aren't common any where. They are alos very hard to care for.

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have lychas mucronatus and lychas scutilus, trying to breed them now. No worry, im sure they would be establish in the us pretty soon ;)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That has been asked a couple of times before I remember. You probably did not search around the site, but that doesn't matter, Apistobuthus are not in the hobby and like John said, there are only a handfull of people that kept these, and they reported that the specimens didn't last a year.

About the Lychas, several species are in the hobby :L.burdoi, L.,scutilus, L.mucronatus, L. infuscatus, L.nigristernis etc etc I am talking about Europe here, of course.....not the greatest country in the world (except for cool bugs) ;P)

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Laugh it up Michiel, lol! Its ok, we will one day have some good stuff if the few of us here in the US interested in different scorp species can manage to get them over here and breed them with some regularity. Even if we are only selling them to eachother! Which is probably what will happen. I guess there just isn't much of a market for anything other than Hadrurus, Pandinus and Heterometrus here for the most part.

And by the way Michiel, I think you told me before that T paraensis had its species name changed, what was that again? Thanks

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

That's Tityus obscurus......A lot of US scorp keepers are asking for different species, so there is definetly a market. Next spring I will sell Rhopalurus and Tityus species again, shipping season is over now.

I hope to breed lots of T.obscurus, my specimens turned adult the past month and I have 4.6.0. so that won't be a problem :) I was very lucky with so much females, because normally in broods it is the other way around, more males then females.

Forget the Apistobuthus, save your energy.....but some Lychas is possibles. Just look at some european sites or contact EU members, lots of those here :)

Cheers, Michiel

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks again Michiel! I am getting in some R pintoi here real soon and pretty excited about that. But the only other Rhopalurus I've seen that I am interested in are R princeps. Its the Centruroides genus that gets me goin the most! Sooo much to choose from!

I like the Tityus but I actually prefer Lychas as far as aesthetics are concerned. I know blasphemy right? Some will probably think me mad for that, but its all about personal preference!

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A pterygocerus..........That is like the holy grail of the scorpion keeping community I swear.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yup, I definitely agree with you John. Kinda a sick looking skinny LQ.....but check out the beautiful long slender chela apart from the tail section!

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are fantastic looking scorps with some very interesting appendages, I would assume for its life being in the extreme heat of the Middle Eastern deserts. Very long chela, brachium and fore femur. Lateral eyes are small and slit-like. Very thin elongated femur and then the metasoma! It is truly a treasure. I was under the impression that Eric Ythier was working with these in Europe? Well I know it is probably a wasted effort, but one day{D Muahahahahhah!

It is a relatively small group of individuals in the US that work with the more exotic scorpion species. That being said, I hope you get some Lychas you were askin for in soon AzJohn, I will be looking forward to getting some of those from you in the future!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks again Michiel! I am getting in some R pintoi here real soon and pretty excited about that. But the only other Rhopalurus I've seen that I am interested in are R princeps. Its the Centruroides genus that gets me goin the most! Sooo much to choose from!

I like the Tityus but I actually prefer Lychas as far as aesthetics are concerned. I know blasphemy right? Some will probably think me mad for that, but its all about personal preference!

Hi Toe cutter,

No that's not blasphemous, Lychas are also very nice scorpions! If you get R.pintoi, make sure you get some males. Males are hard to come by in the EU, and maybe the same problem may be seen across the pond over there in a while....

Cheers, Michiel

Last edited:

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im willing to throw in 3 second instar Lychas scutilus for a trade of a healthy adult female b.jacksoni, anyone interested shoot me a pm ;)
Btw how do u set your own custom avatar in this board?