Lugarti Premium Tarantula substrate?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
That's not something you see everyday... While I'm skeptical, the seller seems to have decent ratings overall? Maybe they know what they're doing? I'm almost tempted to buy a bag just to see what it is.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
probably just dirt. theres no such thing as premium tarantula substrate.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
What makes it "premium"? What does it contain other than dirt?

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He's got a good angle going, seller is right about those two substrates mentioned.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It's likely just topsoil from somewhere. You note that they list two substrate types but not what is in theirs. Cause it prob just plan old screen ran dirt.

Add that to the fact they reference proper humidity and I'm leery at best. I don't know what the price it but I'm guessing I could house several Ts for the price of this stuff using what I do now. Which works great.

Cocofiber does fine... if it's too dry add some water to it. I only know one person using straight vermiculite and they seem to be doing good with it. You just don't pour water on it and you're good. The mix I use with coco, sand and topsoil has been great for a lot of Ts and at a low cost.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
At that price? Lol. Goes to prove people will pay for anything. Whoever buys that can be the first to review it. Now that's a plus.
@cold blood, don't you just use dirt? I'm sure you laugh at all of us buying coir or the coir, peat, vermiculite combo

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, if I need to use a lot of sub, sometimes I will go with or mix peat just to lighten things up...dirt is heavy....but peat moss is crazy cheap, too. But dirt is where its at IMO.

Keep in mind though that it probably matters more for me than the average guy with 1-20 ts. I probably go through 150-200lbs of dirt annually just re housing...im not a "substrate scrooge, as @ChrisLXXIX would say...my costs buying 2 quarts of jungle mix at a time would be astronomical...this stuff would almost double those already high costs.:astonished:

Its funny though, people gravitate to and pay extra for the word "premium"...that's just a fancy word for expensive.:shifty:

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Its funny though, people gravitate to and pay extra for the word "premium"...that's just a fancy word for expensive.:shifty:
It's the organic of the pet world. People throw money at you if you drop the right word.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Haha, yeah, ~12 USD for 2.8 pounds of substrate. I cannot imagine that being practical and I have three tarantulas, one being a sling :rofl: