LQ scorpling questions...

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so i ended up getting a large brood of scorplings from my Leiurus quinquestriatus about 8 months ago. now, i tried keeping them communal against better advice and i lost about 15 (of 55) before i separated them. they are now in their own 1.5oz plastic gerber baby food containers (which i keep all my small slings in). i have sold some to close friends and people i trust (and know are intelligent enough to manage such a scorpion). i ended up keeping 7 for myself.

ok now for the question....its been 7 months since these guys have left moms back, and i cant honestly see that any of them have molted. there has been no growth what so ever...and im not finding any molts in their containers at all. i also have lost 5 of the 7 which means im down to 2. two died mid molt (the only two to have molted so far), and the other 3 just up and passed for no apparent reason. what am i doing wrong here? i keep them on dry coco fiber with a small hide area and they get 1-10day pin head every 5-7 days. i mist down one tiny portion of the bedding/side of container once a week for them to drink. it seems like every week or so i see a new one dead...any advice or suggestions?

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
no suggestions? i know people have kept these scorplings before with success, otherwise we would have no captive bred stock.

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Only advice I can give to you is to keep the heat pretty high (around 85) and start feeding them larger prey items than pinheads. I was feeding my 2i Lqs 1/8" crickets without any problem, so shortly after, I started feeding them larger prey items. Also, unrestricted ventilation plays a pretty significant role in the well being of this species.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Only advice I can give to you is to keep the heat pretty high (around 85) and start feeding them larger prey items than pinheads. I was feeding my 2i Lqs 1/8" crickets without any problem, so shortly after, I started feeding them larger prey items. Also, unrestricted ventilation plays a pretty significant role in the well being of this species.
1/8" is what they eat. but like i said they havent grown at all. and really if i put any more ventilation on them i might as well just take the lid off lol. but thank you for the input...at least i know that im doing something right so far lol

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What temperature do you keep them at? My L. quinquestriatus were usually I3-4 in 7 months, had 3 broods some years ago, kept at 85-95 degrees daytime and a night drop to 80. Fed 1-2 times a week and moistened a corner of the enclosure. Think i had 3 deaths in total and those looked smaller and weaker than the others.

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
when growth isn't happening it's usually because of heating from my experience.

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been successfully keeping and breeding LQs for three years now and can attest that their growth rate is slower than most scorpions even when kept at warmer temps. I have two broods that are almost a year old and they're currently at 3i/4i stages. They're kept around 80-85 degrees during the day and around 70 at night. The substrate is an 80/20 mix of sand and coco fiber. I lightly mist each deli container once a week. Each gets fed 1-2 newborn B. lateralis every other week. My LQ scorplings are thriving and the adults continue to breed like rabbits on very little care. The best advice I can offer is to be patient.

Jeff

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've been successfully keeping and breeding LQs for three years now and can attest that their growth rate is slower than most scorpions even when kept at warmer temps. I have two broods that are almost a year old and they're currently at 3i/4i stages. They're kept around 80-85 degrees during the day and around 70 at night. The substrate is an 80/20 mix of sand and coco fiber. I lightly mist each deli container once a week. Each gets fed 1-2 newborn B. lateralis every other week. My LQ scorplings are thriving and the adults continue to breed like rabbits on very little care. The best advice I can offer is to be patient.

Jeff
You can up that temp with 10 degrees and they will grow faster ;)