LQ & australis pictures - caution: large pics!

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this is one beautiful female sub-adult specimen i got over the weekend:

some pics of my a.australis in 4th instar:

before feeding

after feeding

Cheers!

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You've got some funny looking spots on a couple of the shots?? :?

How big is the LQ snout to vent?

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arachnophilist, thanks. auto contrast? nope! that will give undesired results most of the time, i adjusted levels, saturation and coloration :p when i got the LQ she was already fat. the owner had a few mealies lying around the enclosure as light snack :D

Mark, thats the result of converting hi-res jpeg images to gif format, some of colour information gets lost in the process, thus being replaced by weird spots as you have seen. snout to vent? i've yet to measure, will get back to you when i have.

jeroenkooijman, thanks! i'm planning to expand my collection of desert species as well as move on to more interesting ones: bark scorpions! ;P

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this is one beautiful female sub-adult specimen i got over the weekend:

Cheers!
Hi Zilch...
Can you please tell me how you you sex L. quinquestriatus?
Pectine count? Or there's an easier way?
Thanks

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Raul,

You should be able to tell by looking how robust your specimens are. Females will be very robust and males will be slender, more streamlined looking.

Cheers.

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah...that's how i usually do it but i though there was another rule that applies to this sp.
Thanks a lot Ryan...
Any pectine diferences?

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Raul,

Pectine counts -
Male: 31-36
Female: 26-29

I think I read that males usually have a bit longer metasoma, but I'm not sure if this is true or not.

Cheers.

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Raul,

Ryan is right; counting pectines is the most accurate way of sexing any scorp. i took a macro of the pectines and counted the teeth. my LQ scored a 29.

Cheers

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys...
I will have a lot of counting to do in the next few days.

-.Raul

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mark, thats the result of converting hi-res jpeg images to gif format, some of colour information gets lost in the process, thus being replaced by weird spots as you have seen.
Why did you convert to GIF? It's bad for photos, and the files are huge. You probably could have uploaded a higher quality JPEG at less then 50% of the current file size. Even PNG might have given better results :)

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why did you convert to GIF? It's bad for photos, and the files are huge. You probably could have uploaded a higher quality JPEG at less then 50% of the current file size. Even PNG might have given better results :)
really? i thought gifs are generally smaller than jpegs. the only reason i uploaded it in gif is coz its faster :p

ps: yes, PNG definitely gives better results than a gif :p

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
really? i thought gifs are generally smaller than jpegs. the only reason i uploaded it in gif is coz its faster :p

ps: yes, PNG definitely gives better results than a gif :p
GIF is limited to 256 colors, so you might get smaller files because it throws away colors if there are more then 256. But in general it's very bad for compression of photos but often good for compressing drawings or simple graphics. PNG is a kind of replacement of GIF: it supports 24 bit color, and uses a different compression algorithm (GIF uses one that had a patent (LZW) which suddenly required people to pay a fee, hence PNG was born)

JPEG is made for compression of photos and often gives better results (smaller files).

Very nice scorpion by the way and cool photos :)

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
GIF is limited to 256 colors, so you might get smaller files because it throws away colors if there are more then 256. But in general it's very bad for compression of photos but often good for compressing drawings or simple graphics. PNG is a kind of replacement of GIF: it supports 24 bit color, and uses a different compression algorithm (GIF uses one that had a patent (LZW) which suddenly required people to pay a fee, hence PNG was born)

JPEG is made for compression of photos and often gives better results (smaller files).

Very nice scorpion by the way and cool photos :)
wow, thats a very detailed explanation. are you in IT? good stuff, and thanks!
(i stilll have the hi-res raw pictures, if u want i can send it over to you)