LP - Won't eat weeks after molting

Rappy

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

My LP (adult female) has molted a few weeks ago and since then, whenever I give her a superworm, she bites it (really slowly) then pulls back and does this thing with her fangs as if she's cleaning them. She ignores the worm afterwards. I kept trying to feed her every 2,3 days but I always get the same response. I checked her fangs and they look fine, no issues during molting.

Did anyone else here stumble across this behavior and has some information? Thanks!

Rappy

Arachnopeon
I haven't tried something else since it's pretty difficult to source food for her where I live. I've been feeding her superworms for the past 3 years, so I assumed it's not the food.

I'm thinking of getting some lateralis when I get the chance, but in the meantime I want to find out what's going on with her.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Posting a picture always helps ;)
If there isn't anything visibly wrong with your T and its just running away just keep trying every week.

Rappy

Arachnopeon
Posting a picture always helps ;)
If there isn't anything visibly wrong with your T and its just running away just keep trying every week.
Yeah, normally I wouldn't be alarmed but the following two things have me worried:
1. She hasn't eaten since she molted. If you take into consideration the pre-molt period, it's been a long time since her last meal.
2. She doesn't run away. She goes in and bites or attempts to bite the worm (really slowly) and then cleans her fangs and just sits there with one of her legs on the worm until it borrows.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Yeah, normally I wouldn't be alarmed but the following two things have me worried:
1. She hasn't eaten since she molted. If you take into consideration the pre-molt period, it's been a long time since her last meal.
2. She doesn't run away. She goes in and bites or attempts to bite the worm (really slowly) and then cleans her fangs and just sits there with one of her legs on the worm until it borrows.
Okay, you can try pre killed my T. albo did this for a while after moulting but would eat pre killed.
When was the last time the spider ate?
Have you checked the fangs? Are they both still there?

Edit: also worth noting my T. kahlenbergi stopped eating live prey after a moult but would always eat pre killed.

If your T still won't eat then try using crickets

Rappy

Arachnopeon
Okay, you can try pre killed my T. albo did this for a while after moulting but would eat pre killed.
When was the last time the spider ate?
Have you checked the fangs? Are they both still there?

Edit: also worth noting my T. kahlenbergi stopped eating live prey after a moult but would always eat pre killed.

If your T still won't eat then try using crickets
I don't remember exactly but it's been over a month, maybe close to two. Both her fangs are okay, I had the chance to look at them a few days ago when she climbed the ceiling of her enclosure (no worries, the fall is short).

I'll try a pre-killed worm and reply back here. It almost looks as if she doesn't like them after biting into them.

Thanks for the replies!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I don't remember exactly but it's been over a month, maybe close to two. Both her fangs are okay, I had the chance to look at them a few days ago when she climbed the ceiling of her enclosure (no worries, the fall is short).

I'll try a pre-killed worm and reply back here. It almost looks as if she doesn't like them after biting into them.

Thanks for the replies!
If she has eaten them before she will still eat them now. Might just be spooking her.
How big are the worms and how big is your spider?
Definitely try pre killed.

Edit: if you still have the moult it's worth checking the sucking stomach
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/checking-for-the-sucking-stomach-on-your-molts.306981/

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Do you still have the molt? Or did you take pictures? Have you seen her drink? This sounds like a sucking stomach issue to me. The thread below has more info!

Rappy

Arachnopeon
If she has eaten them before she will still eat them now. Might just be spooking her.
How big are the worms and how big is your spider?
Definitely try pre killed.

Edit: if you still have the moult it's worth checking the sucking stomach
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/checking-for-the-sucking-stomach-on-your-molts.306981/
The worms are rather small compared to what I've seen people on YT feed their big Ts. I haven't measured her in a while but last time she was about 14 cm (5.5 inches).

Unfortunetaly, I don't have the molt.

Do you still have the molt? Or did you take pictures? Have you seen her drink? This sounds like a sucking stomach issue to me. The thread below has more info!

Unfortunately I don't have the molt or pictures of it, but I've seen her hover over the water dish rather frequently, maybe once every couple days. Is that how she drinks?

I'll read the post you guys shared. Thank you!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
The worms are rather small compared to what I've seen people on YT feed their big Ts. I haven't measured her in a while but last time she was about 14 cm (5.5 inches).

Unfortunetaly, I don't have the molt.
Should be fine, some spiders take longer then others to start eating again.

Hi
Adult female LP will take 2 - 3 weeks to harden properly. Keep water available and offer food once every 2 weeks.She will eat when is ready
Regards Konstantin

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Be patient, try again a week later if it does feed it’s just not ready and can take longer than 2weejs with adults, and also as a general practice you should be crushing the heads to try and prevent them from burrowing. I know it just molted but that could be a bad habit.

Rappy

Arachnopeon
Be patient, try again a week later if it does feed it’s just not ready and can take longer than 2weejs with adults, and also as a general practice you should be crushing the heads to try and prevent them from burrowing. I know it just molted but that could be a bad habit.
Yep, I think I let one escape under, but I have to change her substrate anyways these days so I figured it's not a problem.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yep, I think I let one escape under, but I have to change her substrate anyways these days so I figured it's not a problem.
Why do you have to change out substrate? Generally this doesn’t need to happen unless during rehousing.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I'm using coco fiber and I heard it's good to change it every year or so.
Nope you don’t really need to change substrate every year, they are generally pretty clean creatures and all you generally need to do is spot clean to remove boli and uneaten prey. Even if you had a mold problem or fungi pop up mushrooms. It’s more just unsightly than harmful to a tarantula.

Rappy

Arachnopeon
Nope you don’t really need to change substrate every year, they are generally pretty clean creatures and all you generally need to do is spot clean to remove boli and uneaten prey. Even if you had a mold problem or fungi pop up mushrooms. It’s more just unsightly than harmful to a tarantula.
Yeah, but I have a feeling I'm not very good at that so I prefer to change it every once in a while just to be on the safe side. It's pretty inexpensive to buy here. Thank you for the info!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, but I have a feeling I'm not very good at that so I prefer to change it every once in a while just to be on the safe side. It's pretty inexpensive to buy here. Thank you for the info!
Okay, I’m just not quite sure, picking out a bolus is pretty easy and is far less of a nuisance than changing out substrate, just to change it. But to each there own I guess. Good luck!