LP sling bad molt, how can I help it?

Braden

Arachnoknight
Ok first I apologize if this is the wrong thread. I have a 1/3'' Lasiodora parahybana and here is whats happening: It has been stuck in the same position(with it's legs in the air) for 5 days now. It is still alive it wiggles it's legs and kinda drags it'self around leaving me to believe that it is in fact stuck in it's molt. So what I have done is i put it into a different setup more of an ICU. I put moist tissue on the bottom and around the sides so it can hopefully suck up some moisture and the tissue is soft. Now I really don't know how to feed it, do I mush up a cricket or mealworm and put it onto it's mouth or what? Please help me out, I really want to save this little baby. Thank you.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
ICU are not useful for stuck molts. Also a picture would help.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Wait is really stuck molting? It's hard to say based on the single picture alone. Usually they darken up and that specimen doesn't look too dark to determine it was in pre-molt let alone molting. The position looks a upright molt though... So it's a really hard thing to say what's going on based on this one picture alone. More pictures of the specimen will help.

But if it truly stuck molting then there may not be much that can be done. Stuck molts have a limit on what a keeper can do. This appears to be one of the cases where it's basically a nail in the coffin and also the fact you waited too long is not good. Slings that are stuck on molts will usually get the wet q-tip to help it, but in this case the exoskeleton will most likely already hardened meaning it's basically permanently stuck. A sling hardens up faster than an juvenile or adult, which in this case at 5 days it's most likely already completely harden. I hate to say it, but if it's truly stuck in a molt then it's basically too late.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone can do something. Also more pictures would greatly help, because it doesn't look like a pre-molt spider to me.

Braden

Arachnoknight
This is how it has looked for the past week or two. I waited because I thought it could get out on it's own, im always told not to touch while molting so I was scared to do anything.

Braden

Arachnoknight
I guess they are a little darker, not super dark though. Yeah she has had her legs up before I put her in the humid space

magouilles

Arachnoknight
I guess they are a little darker, not super dark though. Yeah she has had her legs up before I put her in the humid space
hmm okok but as previously stated, since you waited too long her exoskeleton is too hard to remove it now if she is truly stuck
I’d still try with the wet q-tip method just to see but I doubt it’d do anything😔
and since she is very small I wouldn’t try removing it slowly with a pair of tiny tweezers it’ll most likely injure her

Braden

Arachnoknight
Also, I didn't overfeed it. I gave it very little as it wasn't a whole lot interested in food

magouilles

Arachnoknight
wet a q-tip thoroughly (but not dripping wet since you don’t want water dripping on your spider) and try to remove the stuck molt by slowly and delicately pulling it in the desired direction
be careful not to hurt her tho especially that it’s most likely fully harden now!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
maybe try feeding your slings tinier prey items or on a longer period of time like each 3-4 days because overfeeding can easily lead to molting problems🙂
A fat T. doesn't lead to more molting problems, so that's not entirely true. A fat T. is quite detrimental, but molt problems are usually not the reasons why it can be detrimental.
Also the Q-tip method. You want it dripping wet for the q-tip. The point of the q-tip method is to provide the stuck T. with as much moisture as possible to allow an easier molt process. A stuck T. in a molt needs moisture to allow for the old exoskeleton to be molted out. Water dripping on your spider should be your least concern if it's stuck in a molt.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Judging by your photo, I don't believe that sling is moulting. If it is trying to moult, something has gone catastrophically wrong with its cycle. The abdomen is nowhere near the dark, almost black colour it should have close to a moult.

When did it last moult? Also a picture of its normal enclosure may help too.

Braden

Arachnoknight
It didn't make it. I tried the q-tip method but it didn't work out and I accidentally hurt her more, seeing their was no chance of survival I had to put her out of her misery. No point keeping a suffering animal knowing it will die.

There is no more need to respond to this thread. Thank you for your help.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I know you said there's no need to respond but I just want to say that I'm sorry. It sucks to lose one like that.

For what it's worth, your sling was already dying. And I very much doubt that anything you could have tried doing today would have saved it.