Lp ok without food for 1 1/2 weeks?

billrogers

Arachnoknight
So I just got a 4" unsexed Lp off a classifieds site like Craigslist, buts here's the catch: I got my uncle to pick it up for me because it was like 5 hours away from me. I will be visiting in the area in about a week and a half when I will pick it up. The guy I bought it from put a cricket in with it today so it currently has food, but I won't be able to get it more food or water until I pick it up. My uncle was not the most excited about picking it up in the first place, so I don't think I can ask him to feed it. The guy said he would also give it fresh water so it should have water for now too (it will probably dry out before I can get it). Now, I know ts can go without food for awhile (my B albo fasts for months sometimes), but this is a growing Lp! I just wanted to make sure it will be ok until I can pick it up.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So I just got a 4" unsexed Lp off a classifieds site like Craigslist, buts here's the catch: I got my uncle to pick it up for me because it was like 5 hours away from me. I will be visiting in the area in about a week and a half when I will pick it up. The guy I bought it from put a cricket in with it today so it currently has food, but I won't be able to get it more food or water until I pick it up. My uncle was not the most excited about picking it up in the first place, so I don't think I can ask him to feed it. The guy said he would also give it fresh water so it should have water for now too (it will probably dry out before I can get it). Now, I know ts can go without food for awhile (my B albo fasts for months sometimes), but this is a growing Lp! I just wanted to make sure it will be ok until I can pick it up.
With water, it should be fine for 1.5 weeks.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It will be fine without food, but it does need water. What kind of container is it in? If the top has some sort of mesh or decent-sized ventilation holes so he doesn't have to actually open the container, perhaps your uncle would be willing to add a little water.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
If the tarantula is in good health I think it will be fine regardless, even if the current water dish dries up.

Is water at all times better? Of course. But a week and a half shouldn't kill it if your uncle is opposed to doing any sort of maintenance.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the comments. I figured she would be ok but I just wanted to make sure.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If I had to choose between them going without water, or a mishap occurring when your uncle tries to give them water - I'm going with letting the water dry up. That is the safest option of the two.
They can go a long time without water and, while it is not ideal, a week and a half is nothing to worry about for an otherwise healthy tarantula.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They can go months without eating, food isn't the issue. Water is. The day you leave, fill the water bowl, moisten the substrate (but not soggy), and put the cage in a clear or white plastic bag and tie it shut, to reduce evaporation. Then you won't have to worry.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas have been known to go over a year without food but this of course is not ideal but just like everything else water is more important though, considering the tarantula is made up of mostly water like humans and they use this water like hydraulics to move. Hence why the death curl refers to dehydrated ts a lot. they do get water from the food they eat but it is still ideal to have a water bowl or something from them to drink out of. As far as my lp she wont eat no matter if she just got theough hardening until she finished her burrow. If your t hasn't made its home yet that's one reason. Lps are usually good eaters. The feeder your feeding it may also be too big but with lps they don't have a problem attacking something 1.5 their body's size. It could also be that the feeder Is too small and the t can't catch it or is not interested. The food should be around the ts body size. As far as stressing over this i wouldn't do such leave her be in a dark quiet room as much as you can alone and then come back in a couple of days and try to feed your lp agian.