LP has been a bitch since it molted ??

BryanS

Arachnopeon
So my LP just molted a week and half ago. It is way bigger now! Its very exciting being my first and only T so far. So my question is.... before it molted it was very docile and rarely even flicked hair. well now since she molted I waited a week before feeding and it is eating great again, but now it is mean as hell! it strikes at everything that comes in that cage. I pour water in its dish and it attacks the water, I toss a roach in and sometimes they play dead so i give it a lil nudge with the feeder tongs and it will strike that too. Just curious if it will eventually calm down? anyone know??

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about LP( I'm assuming that means Lasiodora parahybana) as I do not own one (yet).

But all of the tarantulas I own go through mood swings when they moult, sometimes they're more docile after but most often I find they get more defensive as they get bigger.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're trying to handle your T, this is generally frowned upon but to each their own. It's your T and your hand at the end of the day.

It is unlikely in my opinion that it will just suddenly calm down. There are people who claim that Tarantulas can become tolerant to handling though repeated exposure; but this is not something I have observed even with my G. pulchra (often said to be one of the more docile species).
BUT

It is very unwise to handle a defensive tarantula as you're likely to get bit or haired, and there is a high chance the tarantula will run and fall to its death when you take it out of its tank.

I like my very defensive Ts its more entertaining to watch when I do have to disturb them with crickets or water.

PS: I don't know if bitch qualifies as a taboo word here but there's really no need for that language on the board IMO (unless you're in the off topic section/watering hole)

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If she molted just a week ago, their instict after molt is to eat, eat and eat. They make up for the fasting that occurs before the molt. So anything that hits the substrate, she may take as it being food.

The Lasiodora in general are somewhat defensive (my L.difficilis is really defensive), and love to eat. Usually they always give some attitude when bothered, especially when I have to move them.

As to calming down, per se, it's rather dependent of the specimen itself.

So far, I raised my oldest L.difficilis from a 1/2 sling, to a 6-7 inch adult, and she still gives me an threat posture now and then, and kicks hairs readily.

My largest L.parahybana, I raised also from a sling and is now around 4", he don't usually threat posture, but kicks hair like crazy. Sometimes if I just remove the lid, he starts kicking.

My largest L.klugi, is the same way, except he has a tendency to jet toward his burrow.

They are great spiders, actually one of my favorites. They are tanks, love to eat, and are not shy to just sit about looking around the enclosure.

Last edited:

BryanS

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about LP( I'm assuming that means Lasiodora parahybana) as I do not own one (yet).

But all of the tarantulas I own go through mood swings when they moult, sometimes they're more docile after but most often I find they get more defensive as they get bigger.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're trying to handle your T, this is generally frowned upon but to each their own. It's your T and your hand at the end of the day.

It is unlikely in my opinion that it will just suddenly calm down. There are people who claim that Tarantulas can become tolerant to handling though repeated exposure; but this is not something I have observed even with my G. pulchra (often said to be one of the more docile species).
BUT

It is very unwise to handle a defensive tarantula as you're likely to get bit or haired, and there is a high chance the tarantula will run and fall to its death when you take it out of its tank.

I like my very defensive Ts its more entertaining to watch when I do have to disturb them with crickets or water.

PS: I don't know if bitch qualifies as a taboo word here but there's really no need for that language on the board IMO (unless you're in the off topic section/watering hole)
Well thanks for the info. And no I don't handle her at all. I sort of did once (got her on my hand then I froze and didnt wanna move at all lol) when she was more chill but that was just to try to concure my fear of spiders. I understand they are not puppies and they dont need affection so I care for her cautiously thats it. I do love how she tears into those roaches though. that is funner than holding one I think. So it sounds like after the molt they are very defensive and hungry so I will keep feeding her. Its just wierd how she went from very chill to jumpy and aggressive. Learn somethin new everyday.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How big is it? They say slings are more skittish than adults, but from the few LP's i've handled, they all seem a bit edgy.

BryanS

Arachnopeon
How big is it? They say slings are more skittish than adults, but from the few LP's i've handled, they all seem a bit edgy.
The lady I bought the T from said it was 1 yrs old she said she didn't feed it very often about 3 1/2 inches and I've had her for a few months. Since he/ she molted its much much bigger I haven't measured yet. So answer to ur question I have no idea how long they r considered sling or juvenile could u give me a little info on that?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The lady I bought the T from said it was 1 yrs old she said she didn't feed it very often about 3 1/2 inches and I've had her for a few months. Since he/ she molted its much much bigger I haven't measured yet. So answer to ur question I have no idea how long they r considered sling or juvenile could u give me a little info on that?
I wonder that as well. I've seen them advertised as "3" slings" so I wonder what the criteria is?

BryanS

Arachnopeon
I wonder that as well. I've seen them advertised as "3" slings" so I wonder what the criteria is?
Hmm ya I Donno. I wouldn't consider it to be sling just cause its probably 4 1/2 or 5" now and over 1 yrs old ya know what I'm saying