LP Concern

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
I've never heard of an LP refusing food before, some even eating right up to the day they molt. However, I've had mine for just about 5 days now, and it's refused to eat. It's abdomen doesn't look overly large or shiney, as most do in pre-molt, so this is causing a bit of concern for me.

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Since you've only had it for 5 days, is it safe to assume it's been in that enclosure for only 5 days? Spiders, even slings, often take a week or more to acclimate to their new environment. Eating is the last thing on their mind, they're in unfamiliar territory with nowhere to hide. It looks like a burrow has already been started. Give it a few more days and try to feed again, it shouldn't be long before that sling is hungry.

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
Since you've only had it for 5 days, is it safe to assume it's been in that enclosure for only 5 days? Spiders, even slings, often take a week or more to acclimate to their new environment. Eating is the last thing on their mind, they're in unfamiliar territory with nowhere to hide. It looks like a burrow has already been started. Give it a few more days and try to feed again, it shouldn't be long before that sling is hungry.
This is in fact the enclosure it's been in since I unpacked it. All my other slings were always very eager to eat after the first day. So this one taking a week was definitely new for me. Thank you for the advice.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Just make sure there is some moisture in there and it will be fine. I have three that started at around that size. Small crickets with smashed heads are what Ifeed to my tiny spiders. All three lp's only turn food down for around a week before a molt. They molt monthly at that size, so there's a 25% chance that's where yours is at. Yours has burrowed, so just wait till it resurfaces and you can almost guarantee it will be hungry.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Spiders, even slings, often take a week or more to acclimate to their new environment. Eating is the last thing on their mind
IME Most unless they are extremely nervous species will eat the day after a rehouse.. I believe many would feed that day if hungry given the opportunity.

With 99% of my Ts slings or adults I offer them food that next day. It seems to make them settle into there enclosures faster..

The day before yesterday I rehoused a Juvie LP, 2 Adult E.uatamans and a 2-1/2 inch P.muticus and they all took crickets for me yesterday morning..

@Raven 13 I would guess the your LP is either in premolt or just not hungry.. Most likely premolt.. Squish a small cricket and leave it near the burrow if your worried.. But 5 days is nothing so don't be worried.. While it is true that some species of Ts especially as slings will eat the day before a molt many will not.. Just because LP's have a reputation as an eating machine individuals vary and there feeding habits and temperament can change drastically between molts.. Just make sure the sub is slightly damp and it has access to water.

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
Just for an update, LP finally ate yesterday. Longest week ever. Lol. It's definitely a bit more active now. Thank you for all the advice.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've had sling eat right after I got them and others take a week. I offer it on the 1st day and if they don't take it I skip a few days till they do. IMO there isn't a hard fast rule on when they should eat.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've had sling eat right after I got them and others take a week. I offer it on the 1st day and if they don't take it I skip a few days till they do. IMO there isn't a hard fast rule on when they should eat.
youd think shipping would stress them, but it just makes them hungry. lol

OP, glad to see your spider eating again. maybe your prey sizes were a little large?

cold blood

Staff member
It may have just molted prior to you acquiring it...maybe it just wasnt quite ready to eat yet.