LP climbing

NurenJ

Arachnopeon
Been about a month since i recieved this adult LP and this is the first time I noticed it climbing the top, is this normal behavior? 0D3F4A9E-803B-4369-9148-A886314766FD.jpeg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Been about a month since i recieved this adult LP and this is the first time I noticed it climbing the top, is this normal behavior? View attachment 351624
"Normal" well, yes and no. Not typical behaviour long term, but common when they've been rehoused, particularly when the substrate is damper than they want.

You'll want to make sure there's not enough room between the substrate top and the lid for her to fall (which looks to be the case in the order)

NurenJ

Arachnopeon
"Normal" well, yes and no. Not typical behaviour long term, but common when they've been rehoused, particularly when the substrate is damper than they want.

You'll want to make sure there's not enough room between the substrate top and the lid for her to fall (which looks to be the case in the order)
So rehouse?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Just make sure it is 1.5dls from substrate to top. Also is that top a screen lid?
It looks like the expanded metal ones that seem to have no issue. I have the same lids.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It is not a woven mesh lid, it is the expanded metal ones that seem to have no issue. I have the same lids.
I really couldn’t tell, that’s good!!

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I have experienced this a few times, in my case not related to damp substrate but it was only a few months after rehousing, so i think it was searching for a way out

If there is more room to the top they are less disturbed when opening the lid but at the same time the chance of an injury from falling increases, so its the safer option to add more substrate, this wont help her settle in faster though

the screen could be dangerous, if it slips and falls one or more claws could get stuck resulting in a bad fall and potentialy some injoury on the feet itself

the safer option would be to replace it with plexiglass ore something similar
provided it can be drilled for ventilation

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I edited my post, looking closer hard to tell. Most of the woven mesh is not powder coated black.
Yeah you are right it’s not common to see woven screen mesh powder coated. So hopefully it’s the expanded type!

KenD

Arachnosquire
Been about a month since i recieved this adult LP and this is the first time I noticed it climbing the top, is this normal behavior? View attachment 351624
It's not unusual, at the very least. See to it that there's no more than 1.5xDLS distance between the top of the enclosure and the substrate. Heavy bodied terrestrials aren't the best climbers and can be seriously injured from even a fairly short fall.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Normal. My big LP has been in same enclosure for like three years, has always had periods of roof walking.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Yes it’s normal unless they just stay up there for days then something might be going on. Tarantulas will climb, some more than others.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Come to think of it, once both of my LP hit 4 inches, They would always climb.