Loxosceles reclusa

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of the many residents my wife and I share our condo with. I thought it looked like a nice specimen, so I decided to try my photo-stitching panoramic technique to get a nice full body closeup of one of these gals. True legspan is about 1". Ahhh, what a wonder 5 minutes in the refrigerator will do!:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
nice job. and you're right, that is a good-lookin loxo.
Wow, it really is nice looking. This is the first time i've ever looked at a photo of a recluse and thought "That thing looks cool". I've never noticed the red joints or the more subtle carapace markings before.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yeah, why are the joints red? i've not seen that before. i just assumed something was reflecting red light onto the spider :)

well, ok, secretly i was hoping it was a L. rufescens =P

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as the red joints go, this girl was a freshly molted female, so part of it could have been that, more pink than anything.

Otherwise it was probably the blood-red walls of the room I was shooting her in reflecting off the membranes of her joints. But certainly plane ole' jane ole' brown recluse from Lawrence, KS...nothing special.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ah

i bet the fresh molted translucency combined with the super red walls. it's a kinda neat practical effect

greengloblin

Arachnopeon
This is an excellent picture. I've been looking for pictures to use in a safety training presesntation about spider awareness. May I use your photo?

Vespula

Arachnodemon
She's very nice! I've got a recluse that's been my pet for a few months. They're awesome!

jess578

Arachnopeon
Hey! A fellow recluse parent!

What do you keep them in and how do you care for it etc?

I am basically winging it with mine, as everything I looked up on care and habitat for them was how to "take care of" them if you know what I mean. I keep him in a decent sized jar with a layer of peat moss and lots of rocks for him to hide in and such. I mist it and throw some baby crickets in there, and so far he's been eating and has quite a nice little web built for himself to hide in.

All my friends think I'm completely insane. Any tips on that?

It's been about 4 months so I must be doing something right, but wonder if you have any pointers?

Here he is:

his home:

him eating:

and his web:

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They don't require much. I would say your spider is spoiled! I would be somewhat nervous of the rocks shifting or the jar getting bumped resulting in a squished spider. Excellent pics.