Loxosceles deserta - a brief habitat summary with pics

NYAN

Arachnoking
I spent about 2 days in the high desert. I didn’t see any snakes like I wanted to but I got some good documentation of Loxosceles habitat, including in the house I was staying at and next to my bed.

Microhabitat:
The spiders really love decaying wood. I found none under rocks. They also shared habitat with some sort of rodent I couldn’t identify.
6462C56C-7FC6-49D9-B4BE-C6DAE1CA8C79.jpeg

DC904C19-6262-4DCA-AE49-AF3A7D0B3C36.jpeg

Gravid females and eggs

I found several gravid females, and a couple on eggs. I also found 2 pairs living together. The mothers would attach their egg sacs to the top of the wood they hide under, often weaving it into a natural crevice. Their egg sacs are very flat and are covered by a fairly thin layer of silk.

A mom with a very pretty coloration. She has only 5 legs also.
B6EF350B-F31E-490D-B266-1A5E0A062864.jpeg

A pair that I found living under a piece of wood.

278515DA-0BFF-4151-8B37-EA2B2E1C41D6.jpeg

Juvenile in a crevice under a log
74F33078-AF09-4764-A787-388BC9A0D636.jpeg
Indoors

The house that I was staying at was very likely sprayed with pesticides but I have no solid evidence to support this.

The way I discovered the ones indoors was when I decided to get water at around 10PM. I looked and saw several Loxosceles running around on the floor, mostly mature males. After this I grabbed a flashlight and looked around in crevices and behind furniture. Again, the spiders readily occupied anything made of wood. I uncovered a mature pair behind a small bookcase and several more in similar areas. All the areas I found them had evidence of them living there for a long time as evident by multiple molts.

In total I collected about 7 indoors. I released all but one mature male. I saw several others that I was unable to capture as well.

Juvenile I found under my nightstand

CC5909D7-D8A9-4E63-86CA-9938FB0FEDE0.jpeg

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
They also shared habitat with some sort of rodent I couldn’t identify.
A certain field mouse and kangaroo rats are common out there. Put out a flake of alfalfa and set up a night camera. They only come out well after dark and are gone well before dawn.

NYAN

Arachnoking
A certain field mouse and kangaroo rats are common out there. Put out a flake of alfalfa and set up a night camera. They only come out well after dark and are gone well before dawn.
It was probably a kangaroo rat honestly. I saw field mice but these were bigger. They were out during the day though but mostly scurrying around near their burrows.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It was probably a kangaroo rat honestly. I saw field mice but these were bigger.
NODS! We would buy alfalfa a ton at a time. By the time we got down to the last bale or two those little sporkers would make sizeable dents in the bales. I mean, sometimes a foot deep hole 6 or 8 inches across.
You go out in the dark before dawn and sight the stack through a scope and wait. This mass of moving bouncers would slowly appear then all at once it got a little too light and they suddenly vanished.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I have had no trouble finding them under rocks and in rock crevices.
I’ve never seen this species under rocks in years of visiting their range. The only reason I found them I think is because I checked a different habitat. You’re referring to deserta?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Did you bring any home? Can we look forward to you selling slings in the future? :D
Yes. Give it a month or so. I collected all of the ones I found indoors except some MMs, plus two or three outside.

I have at least one gravid female, plus 1.2 living together.