Low scorpion temps.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any kinds of scorps that likes the the mid 70's to low 80's in terms of temps?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
is it okay to bump?
I wouldn't. At least not until it is on page two.

The temps you gave will work well for most species. You can go a little higher on some.

These are day temps though. Most can go lower at night. Don't go overboard.

What I usually do when I get a species I don't know about, is read caresheets on line. Find out where they are from, then look the averages there. Remember they generally come out at night, so you can stay a bit above the high, as it will be cooler in their natural burrows and in the shade. I would keep it a bit above the lows for the converse reason. But you can get a good Idea of what they could tolerate, then you keep it in the middle of that...

*edit* It is okay to "bump" if you have information to share. If you are adding to it, cool. Otherwise, I would wait until it drops to page 2.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, for the info on bumping and also thank you very much for the information.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try looking for info on Uroctonus mordax. I remember reading something about them being a cool weather species.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
vaejovids do well in room temps. if you were to get an emperor scorpion it would do fine also if kept at those temps.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
a lot of scorps will do fine as far as eating and even molting goes... mating might be a bit dicey for some stuff without some kind of warmer time of year, though

a lot of Vaejovids are pretty darn tough. i can't seem to reliably keep tropical scorpions alive... but vaejovids are stupid easy to keep alive and even get ch babies from :)

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was thinking about some Emperor scorps, for a few communal? What are some other communal scorpions, I will search for if needed.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Centruroides vittatus is another communal. They are available and not too pricey either. But their sting has a bit more oomph than an emp. like 2.5 on a 5.

B. jacksoni are available and popular.

And one of the Tityus sp. But they will be more expensive, and they are fairly dangerous. 4 out of 5 I think.

You do have to keep in mind, that even with the communal species, there are losses sometimes. I have had good luck with a handful of species, but I've also heard of Emp and B. jacks cannibalizing. I've seen C. vittatus do so. So even though they are "communal", they are more like semi-communal. It's just less likely.

Do a search though. I am sure there are others. I have kept a couple of species not known to be communal in small groups with success, but not long enough to say they are either. If you see my thread V. waueri communal, don't assume they are communal. Read the thread and see that I expected losses. It was completely experimental.

But if you see something somewhere that says a species is communal, feel free to post it here and ask about it. You many want to also provide a link where you saw the information. Have fun. :)

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I read the thread, very informative. I really had no idea B. jacksoni was communal. Thanks for that info. I was going to get some P. imperator because I wasn't sure if B. jacksoni was or not. I was thinking about having 4 or 5 of them in a 40gal tank, making sure they all get food of course. Would this be too big for B. jacksoni, would a 20gal be better?

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I read the thread, very informative. I really had no idea B. jacksoni was communal. Thanks for that info. I was going to get some P. imperator because I wasn't sure if B. jacksoni was or not. I was thinking about having 4 or 5 of them in a 40gal tank, making sure they all get food of course. Would this be too big for B. jacksoni, would a 20gal be better?
20 gal would be huge for b.jacksoni, i think 5 would be more fitting.