Low maintenance non-furry pet suggestions?

itstracc

Arachnopeon
It’s not so much laziness as it is a focus issue. She has ADHD so I have to remind her of things a lot in general. A tarantula would be great since you don’t have to feed them every day or clean out the enclosure all the time etc., but I think they’re a bit too creepy crawly for her. All that being said, she’s 11 and I think most kids shouldn’t have pets unless someone else is helping them; but it’s not my decision to make, if it was I just wouldn’t have kids in the first place lol.
I have ADHD but I'm an adult so I know that I need to leave reminders for myself and have a schedule so that I don't forget things. An eleven year old really shouldn't be owning pets in my opinion. There's a difference between calling an animal "hers" and having her actually take care of it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have ADHD but I'm an adult so I know that I need to leave reminders for myself and have a schedule so that I don't forget things. An eleven year old really shouldn't be owning pets in my opinion. There's a difference between calling an animal "hers" and having her actually take care of it.
I agree completely on this. I haven’t come across a single child that is taking care of a pet completely.

Most kids enjoy having one, perhaps they feed it etc, but the reminding etc is done by parents.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
ADHD is beyond the scope of this forum. I would suggest that the theraoy or training she is undergoing be coupled to the basics of sharing space with an animal. Don't simply dive in but work towards expanding her understanding, learning to act responsibly and of course, focus focus focus. Dial it down, work on self control, with an end goal of having a pet that will benefit from her keeping on top of things and reward her in turn with companionship. Then consider something like a puppy.

vegas

Arachnopeon
ADHD is beyond the scope of this forum. I would suggest that the theraoy or training she is undergoing be coupled to the basics of sharing space with an animal. Don't simply dive in but work towards expanding her understanding, learning to act responsibly and of course, focus focus focus. Dial it down, work on self control, with an end goal of having a pet that will benefit from her keeping on top of things and reward her in turn with companionship. Then consider something like a puppy.
Well put. We have 3 dogs, (one is mine, other 2 are family dogs), and she is not the best at interacting with them. We’re constantly reminding her of better ways to engage with the dogs, and to back off when they show her they’re uncomfortable. Being her older brother it’s hard to find a balance between being cautious and letting her be independent. It’s hard sometimes, but necessary. From fish to mice to whatever’s next, we’ll be taking baby steps :)

The Snark

Old Timer
@vegas I wish I knew more about ADHD. At the handicapped riding program we had several kids, from toddlers to young adults, with ADHD. Some were also autistic, one was ADHD extreme and one had severe Down syndrome. It was all hands on deck when they were present. Our greatest concern aside from keeping them safe was they were a hazard to the animals. The dogs and rabbits as well as the horses. Not malicious but seemingly callous and uncaring, unheeding if the animal was being hurt. It was very difficult or even impossible to get them to understand consequences for their actions, or inactions. Thus they do not make good keepers of pets. They don't connect dots very well.
Even riding horses, and us caring for the horses, didn't do much in the helping them focus. This was odd in that being at a stable among horses the horse is a significant presence to most people, but not the ADHD. Just another fleeting object.
I wish her and you the best. I simply don't have the knowledge to advise further.

itstracc

Arachnopeon
@vegas I wish I knew more about ADHD. At the handicapped riding program we had several kids, from toddlers to young adults, with ADHD. Some were also autistic, one was ADHD extreme and one had severe Down syndrome. It was all hands on deck when they were present. Our greatest concern aside from keeping them safe was they were a hazard to the animals. The dogs and rabbits as well as the horses. Not malicious but seemingly callous and uncaring, unheeding if the animal was being hurt. It was very difficult or even impossible to get them to understand consequences for their actions, or inactions. Thus they do not make good keepers of pets. They don't connect dots very well.
Even riding horses, and us caring for the horses, didn't do much in the helping them focus. This was odd in that being at a stable among horses the horse is a significant presence to most people, but not the ADHD. Just another fleeting object.
I wish her and you the best. I simply don't have the knowledge to advise further.
That definitely sounds more like autism than ADHD in my opinion. ADHD isn't really lack of caring or awareness, it's more hyperactivity and being unable to control oneself. I have pretty severe ADHD, and I've known plenty of people that also have it, and I don't think I've ever met someone who was disrespectful towards animals because of it. When I was in elementary school, sure, but that had more to do with being a child than having ADHD. People can be jerks and also have ADHD without it correlating haha. I agree with the callous part, but most people would be actively trying to correct their behaviors, especially if it's at the expense of others. Autism is lack of awareness while ADHD is lack of control, if that makes any sense.

The Snark

Old Timer
That definitely sounds more like autism than ADHD in my opinion. ADHD isn't really lack of caring or awareness, it's more hyperactivity and being unable to control oneself.
You summed up a part of the general problem in a nutshell. To the casual observer.... I asked a psychologist-occupational therapist about one person we had at the riding program. She fired back, male or female? Age? Apparent coordination? Aptitude? Spacial awareness? And the list went on for some time. Turns out ADHD can be the entire problem or it can be one manifestation of any of several other problems or a combination of problems. Inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsivess, cassical ADHD symptoms, cannot be used as the main diagnostic tool.
But we digress from the OP. How can a person with ADHD be a responsible pet owner and what pet would be suitable? I don't think there is any one correct answer.

An eleven year old really shouldn't be owning pets in my opinion. There's a difference between calling an animal "hers" and having her actually take care of it.
I'd counter that by a farmers son who at the age of 10 was handed the evening milking duties of about 10 cows which he handled quite capably. Contrary wise, I'm always going to side with the animal - it's health and well being is paramount.
Very confusing issue.

itstracc

Arachnopeon
I'd counter that by a farmers son who at the age of 10 was handed the evening milking duties of about 10 cows which he handled quite capably. Contrary wise, I'm always going to side with the animal - it's health and well being is paramount.
Very confusing issue.
Pulling away from the ADHD discussion, I still stand by my point. The kid was helping out with the care - that doesn't mean he owns them or that he's their sole caretaker. It's the same with other animals: kids can feed the dogs sometimes and let them out and whatnot, but they should never be the only person taking care of the dogs. It's a parent's/guardian's responsibility to take care of that animal, not a child too young to really understand right from wrong.

The Snark

Old Timer
The kid was helping out with the care - that doesn't mean he owns them or that he's their sole caretaker.
I fully agree. A case in point was when I was ramrod at a pack station. Most of the horse owners were self proclaimed experts and a few were better horse knowledge educated than I. But I was the final word, and my say over-ruled all. Horses under my care will be fully supervised with the animals health first and foremost, regardless of the knowledge and capabilities of the owner. My final word was backed up by my counterpart who was a qualified large animal vet. A horse in a padded stall at a megabucks ranch is worlds apart from working a pack train in a wilderness environment. Supervision is critical. Knowledge of the animal is not enough. The environment and all peripheral factors must be taken into account.

Last edited:

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
As someone with ADHD who is very forgetful and deals with out of sight out of mind literally and not by choice, I’d say isopods are a good one if you’re still looking for something. Theyre not super expensive to buy, set up, or maintain, and if you set them up properly with wood and leaf litter thats rotting and have proper ventilation, they can be forgotten about for a week or two with no consequence. Because i know i do that all the time. I just always make sure they have a long lasting food supply to supplement like a carrot since i know i’m bound to forget theres thousands of isopods stacked against a wall in my closet. I tend to tell myself ill feed them in a minute then next thing i know its been a week. (I dont do this with any of my reptiles its just the isopods dont worry) When i do remember i always give them a good amount of extra food just in case. Also theyre kinda cool to watch run around and see them climbing and exploring new stuff you throw in. My little brother loves watching them too and loves to feed them and see them all swarm the food.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
To go back to the original post, some isopods would be a great choice. Put them in a critter keeper, low maintenance, water a corner once a week, call it a day. Can even get large or cool color species. I think isopods are the perfect pet for kids.

Egon

Arachnosquire
If you or an adult will take on the bulk of the responsibility with help from your sister, millipedes would be a good option.

They’re low maintenance but super interesting and you can setup a nice looking tank with low-light live plants. I don’t use any artificial lights for my pothos, fern and some other small plant.

My ivory millipedes are out a lot and look great. I love how big and round my smoky oak millipedes are, and they’re out in the evenings much more than I had expected.

I find them a lot more interesting than the isopods in my bioactive garter snake tank, and you can handle them carefully.

InvertNix

Arachnopeon
Not sure if you're still looking for suggestions but an ant farm might be a good idea you don't have to clean them out you just watch them. Interesting and easy. My son has autism and ADD and he loves watching them.

Harmonicon

Arachnoknight
My little sister is looking to get a pet. She’s had mice before but it didn’t go too well, she had to be reminded very often to fill their water, clean out their enclosure, etc.
She wants something that’s easy and doesn’t have fur. Something that doesn’t need handled or entertained, but also cute. She’s been looking at axolotls but I’m not sure they’re the right fit for her. Any suggestions?
Get something that she will care for and likes. If she gets some pet she doesn't want, the less chance she will take care of it.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
My little sister is looking to get a pet. She’s had mice before but it didn’t go too well, she had to be reminded very often to fill their water, clean out their enclosure, etc.
She wants something that’s easy and doesn’t have fur. Something that doesn’t need handled or entertained, but also cute. She’s been looking at axolotls but I’m not sure they’re the right fit for her. Any suggestions?
Seamonkeys!!!

I was at a pet store yesterday and I was staring at a tank full of fake fish for about 2 minutes before I realized they were fake....
Eyesight ain't what it used to be eh Mori? :p

JenVegas

Arachnosquire
I've got ADHD. It can be tough, but it can be managed.

For a pet, if she's okay with not handling it and being careful, I would recommend bark scorpions. They don't burrow so they don't need fancy substrate. Their temp/humidity requirements are super easy to maintain.

I've got a bunch of C. Sculpturatus in a communal tank and I love them. They definitely fit the "cute" requirement. And they're super low maintenance.

They are a medically significant species, though, so she would need to be careful when cleaning their tank or refilling their water (if you decide to give them water. They can do alright without it, they can get enough moisture from their food).

Other bark scorpion species are less dangerous, but not as good in a communal setting.

And not as cute, imo.

I mean, look at that face. That's such a cute little puppy dog face.

20200825_013445.jpg

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would strongly advise against getting bark scorpions for an 11 year old. IMO any species of scorpion is a bit advanced for someone that age, and they aren’t exactly “cute” either.