Low maintenance non-furry pet suggestions?

vegas

Arachnopeon
My little sister is looking to get a pet. She’s had mice before but it didn’t go too well, she had to be reminded very often to fill their water, clean out their enclosure, etc.
She wants something that’s easy and doesn’t have fur. Something that doesn’t need handled or entertained, but also cute. She’s been looking at axolotls but I’m not sure they’re the right fit for her. Any suggestions?

basin79

ArachnoGod
My little sister is looking to get a pet. She’s had mice before but it didn’t go too well, she had to be reminded very often to fill their water, clean out their enclosure, etc.
She wants something that’s easy and doesn’t have fur. Something that doesn’t need handled or entertained, but also cute. She’s been looking at axolotls but I’m not sure they’re the right fit for her. Any suggestions?
If she didn't like filling the water dish up for her mice she'll hate doing water changes for axolotls. Not sure what animal to suggest beyond stick insects if you have plenty of whatever they eat around. Bramble/fern/etcetera.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

If she didn't like filling the water dish up for her mice she'll hate doing water changes for axolotls. Not sure what animal to suggest beyond stick insects if you have plenty of whatever they eat around. Bramble/fern/etcetera.
Agreed. Changing water is going to be needed with any pet, including fish. I would recommend no pets given what you've identified about your sister. There are no "no maintenance" pets.

itstracc

Arachnopeon
Really the only thing I could think of that's super forgiving of neglect would be millipedes, isopods, or other detritivores since you can just throw in wood and leaves and leave them to it. Fish can be a bit forgiving if you get hardier species, but they still require regular tank maintenance and water changes and need to be fed daily.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
If she is too lazy to fill a water dish, then she doesn’t need to be owning any type of pet in the first place. Wanting something that she doesn’t really have to do anything for tells me that she’s getting a pet for all the wrong reasons and clearly she’s not ready or responsible enough to care for the livelihood of another living creature.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Get her a tablet, put it in a tank, and load a looping video of the animal of your(or her) choice :) , maintenance free pet!

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Buy her a Tamagotchi. :smirk:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I had a pet rock as a kid, it was extremely tame, hardly ever seem interested in food or water, and was extremely obedient. I mean who could ask for anything more!?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Having thought about it I don't think stick insects would be suitable. They still require to be fed, cleaned out, misted (probably) and I highly doubt that would happen. Or happen enough.

I'd suggest those little robotic jellyfish that bob around in the water. Absolutely not being sarcastic either. They actually move and are interesting to watch but aren't living so no harm if the aquarium is covered in alge in a few months.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Having thought about it I don't think stick insects would be suitable. They still require to be fed, cleaned out, misted (probably) and I highly doubt that would happen. Or happen enough.
Phasmids are definitely not a low maintenance pet! Especially some nymphs that can require daily or twice daily care and are picky about food sources and have to have their food prepared to be able to actually be able to feed.. Some can be a pain in the butt!

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
I think they still make those capsules that you drop into water and they turn into sponges that are shaped like dinosaurs.....

basin79

ArachnoGod
Phasmids are definitely not a low maintenance pet! Especially some nymphs that can require daily or twice daily care and are picky about food sources and have to have their food prepared to be able to actually be able to feed.. Some can be a pain in the butt!
Aye. I was thinking back to the Indian ones I had as a kid. Just used to nip across the road, snip some privet, take the old out and bang that in. Bred like crazy. But I still had to get their food and clean them out. And they are easy but still not "I'll just leave them to it" easy. Hence my change of mind.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

I'd suggest those little robotic jellyfish that bob around in the water. Absolutely not being sarcastic either. They actually move and are interesting to watch but aren't living so no harm if the aquarium is covered in alge in a few months.
I was at a pet store yesterday and I was staring at a tank full of fake fish for about 2 minutes before I realized they were fake....

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Aye. I was thinking back to the Indian ones I had as a kid. Just used to nip across the road, snip some privet, take the old out and bang that in. Bred like crazy. But I still had to get their food and clean them out. And they are easy but still not "I'll just leave them to it" easy. Hence my change of mind.
They are the easiest! But it doesn’t sounds like easy enough for the person looking for a pet.

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
Blue death feigning beetles! Super cute, no water dish and you can feed them little pieces of fruit or fish food every other day. They can even be housed communally without any extra precautions

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Let's be logical? Maintenance free pets. Start simple. Scabies, hair or body variety. Tapeworm or roundworms. Other intestinal parasites. Free ranging: Turn some pholcids loose in the house. Termites. Mosquitoes. Latrodectus or Steatoda - durable dark places and corner lurkers. Once she starts taking an interest in her environment and health and hygiene she can move towards being responsible.
Not sure when/where/if I crossed the line from cynic to snark to troll.

vegas

Arachnopeon
If she is too lazy to fill a water dish, then she doesn’t need to be owning any type of pet in the first place. Wanting something that she doesn’t really have to do anything for tells me that she’s getting a pet for all the wrong reasons and clearly she’s not ready or responsible enough to care for the livelihood of another living creature.
It’s not so much laziness as it is a focus issue. She has ADHD so I have to remind her of things a lot in general. A tarantula would be great since you don’t have to feed them every day or clean out the enclosure all the time etc., but I think they’re a bit too creepy crawly for her. All that being said, she’s 11 and I think most kids shouldn’t have pets unless someone else is helping them; but it’s not my decision to make, if it was I just wouldn’t have kids in the first place lol.

vegas

Arachnopeon

Not a bad idea. When I was younger my friend had a fish bowl full of orbeez, she fed them salt. Although I think my sister is a tad too old for that now lol.