Low 60s ok for dubia?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey I am planning on starting a dubia colony. Except my house is pretty cold, the area they are staying in is in the low 60s to high 50s (F) at worst. I have an under tank heat pad that I can use to warm them, but I'm not sure if it's ok to put on a rubbermaid. I was reading a thread on here and someone said that they don't have a problem with it, and some said they don't use any additional heating. Can my roaches sustain themselves at the temperature of my house?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1.) Rubbermaid and heating pads are a bad combination.

2.) Low 60s won't kill them (short term, that is), but they won't breed either.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1.) Rubbermaid and heating pads are a bad combination.

2.) Low 60s won't kill them (short term, that is), but they won't breed either.
Could I put them in a glass tank with a heat pad? Or might it burn the roaches?

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
I have a heat mat on mine and a heat lamp and they're doing great it stays about 86 in my tank

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Could I put them in a glass tank with a heat pad? Or might it burn the roaches?
I use heat rope, and I keep them right in there with the rope. It's insulated, so as long as it's a pet-approved one, it's not damaged, and you use a thermostat you should be fine.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
If you got the cash, a reptile clamp lamp would cost about $30 with the bulb & you could just clamp it to the side of the rubbermaid and point it down at the roaches.
I do this with my hissers and they breed great. Just make sure to use a red bulb.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do not use any heat source now just to slow down breeding for the past 6 months.

I still get plenty to produce to feed my things.Do not recommend 60 but 65 for mine I do not get any deaths..