Loud Crickets

Tank_21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This may seem a bit bizzare but does anyone have a solution to shut crickets up? The ones that I have been getting latley are mostly males and are making a huge racket (more than normal). I have them in my guest room and my company is contemplating pitching a tent for the full experience:razz: . I have read that they generally only chirp when the temp. is over 70 degrees but I'm not about to get the cooler out. Just curious to see if someone has a "magic" remedy!! Thanks...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep my solution was to never buy them again. :clap:
How many Ts do you have? Maybe you can start a small roach colony. I did last Sept, and Ill never look back. Worth every penny.

Tank_21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I only have five right now and my girlfriend would just shXt if I had roaches,.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ours are out on the balcony. Then it's more like ambience than annoying feeders. Alternatively, if you have toenail clippers and a steady hand you could de-wing the males. Cut near the base to clip off the file and scraper of at least one wing, but not so close that you injur them in the process.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I suppose if you kept them in the fridge they would quiet down, since they would just slow down in general because they are cold blooded (i know there is a more scientific term, but you get the idea). I have never tried this though, so idk if it would work. I just keep them in a little closet where I can't hear them. Another option, since you only have 5 T's, is just buy a half a dozen at a time, and immediately send 5 off to the slaughter.

Tank_21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also have four gecko's that are always hungry so just buying a few wouldn't work.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I keep my crickets in a small Kritter Keeper inside a larger tupperware container w/ lid. Cuts down the noise quite a bit.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had the same problem when I first started keeping 40-50 at a time. At first I couldn't stand the racket, but after a while I started tuning them out.

I may look into a roach colony, but the tought of keeping roaches sort of creeps me out, however still I will look into it.:eek:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
agreed with IHeartmantids. Trimming off the rear half of the wings will also quiet the chirps quiet a bit(a buzzing noise).

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have a large kk i keep my crix in,yeah they get loud but i keep them in a walk in closet,so i really don't here them that much,it kinda keeps them alittle quite.

OlGeezer

Arachnopeon
I've been struggling with crickets for about 1 month, don't mind the 'noise' now that they are in a closet, but I do mind the odor and high mortality rate. My T's devour the crickets when I drop them into their habitat so I continue to keep them.
As re roaches, well, I have a young colony of B. dubia's, no sound except when they move around, no odor whatsoever, and eat almost everything (not once have I heard them complain, "Leftovers again?!") Also, they don't jump out as do the crickets and they're much easier to round up. However, there is one minor drawback that some folks may find offensive and that is I have to squash the dubia's head before feeding otherwise they'll immediately crawl into the substrate.
Know that I have always found roaches to be disgusting, but for some reason I don't find the dube's repulsive at all. And most importantly I told my wife I'm raising BEETLES, little white :liar: otherwise she would throw me out along with the roaches ;)

Bill the OlGeezer in RI living the good life with T's!

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OlGeezr, I know about the mortality rate w/ crix, seems they die almost as fast as I can feed them to my T's, is the mortality rate better w/ the roaches, does that sp climb glass? And how long till you had a viable colony?

I can't believe that I'm actually asking about keeping roaches:p

Thanks for your info

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B. dubia is a non-glass climbing species that I have observed very low mortality rates in. The males have wings but are very poor fliers. The only problem my fiancee and I have with them is they don't breed quite as fast as we expected (we're leaving them alone for a while to repopulate), and the first instars are too large to feed slings.

We have a smaller species on-hand (B. laterallis), but that colony also nearly died off because we weren't keeping them properly at first. Now that we have at least one male and several new ooths we should be ok again. B. laterallis first instars are tiny enough even for the smallest slings.

Sorry if this is too off-topic. :8o

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mmmm roaches

Yup, go roach. I've got a small B. dubia colony and I love them. They live up to a couple of years apparently, and yes, the slow growth rate is the only drawback. Takes a while until the colony starts producing much, but they're super easy to take care of, and don't stink!

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i buy mine from petco. throw them in the kritter keeper and with long forceps.. using two of course. i rip their wings off :] its what makes that 'chirp'.

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
when i have more Ts, adults.. ill convert to roaches.. they sound great from what i've been hearing.

Shadow Tongue

Arachnopeon
The noise that they make drives me insane. I'm currently buying crickets, but after browsing through this thread for some habitat ideas, I'm definitely going to start breeding my own. The gas that I'll save alone is worth keeping a community of roaches at home.

OlGeezer

Arachnopeon
Hello WARPIG, sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner but after reading IHeartMantids' post I agree with his response to your first two questions re climbing/flying. Viability is a tough one to ans. After a month I've only seen a few dubia babies and that was after I add a heating pad. I learned that tip among others from thee T guru in Papillion, NE and apparently it works, albeit slowly. I'm considering lit candles, soft music, and dropping in an oyster or two...any thoughts{D

Bill the OlGeezer living the good life with T's, C's, and 'beetles'{D

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Young crickets

This may seem a bit bizzare but does anyone have a solution to shut crickets up? The ones that I have been getting latley are mostly males and are making a huge racket (more than normal). I have them in my guest room and my company is contemplating pitching a tent for the full experience:razz: . I have read that they generally only chirp when the temp. is over 70 degrees but I'm not about to get the cooler out. Just curious to see if someone has a "magic" remedy!! Thanks...
I have 31 tarantulas from 1/2_an_inch to 3_inches and I only buy pinhead crickets. Eventualy I will upgrade to 2 week olds and so as my smallest tarantulas get larger. I never buy adult crickets. I prefer to get younger NON winged crickets. I have 3 cages with each size and I raise them up to the desired size. Of course my tarantulas will catch and eat more frequently with smaller crickets but I then I do not have to live with the CHIRPING except for the ones that escape in my home and actually survive to become an adult.

I do not breed crickets since they are still a pretty low cost to purchase.

BinarySpider2

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello WARPIG, sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner but after reading IHeartMantids' post I agree with his response to your first two questions re climbing/flying. Viability is a tough one to ans. After a month I've only seen a few dubia babies and that was after I add a heating pad. I learned that tip among others from thee T guru in Papillion, NE and apparently it works, albeit slowly. I'm considering lit candles, soft music, and dropping in an oyster or two...any thoughts{D

Bill the OlGeezer living the good life with T's, C's, and 'beetles'{D

laughing my lil curly tail off, thanks for the reply. I will look at roaches inspite of my obvious disgust for them, although I recently learned that crickets and roaches are closely related so whats the diff.