lost two t's somehow

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
im not sure if my tarantulas have a disease or not but I lost my avic and Hmac. the avic seemed fine until a month ago when she began to be lethargic and just froze in one spot and died (thought it was a right side up molt for a few days until the rotting began) and now my Hmac has been acting the same way three days ago and is now gone today. can anyone tell me whats up?

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hear of your losses. Could use some more info like sizes, sexes, how they're kept, substrate, things of that nature.

Pretty sure there isn't any known tarantula diseases.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
i'm sorry for your losses i know it sucks. have you been using any chemicals like air freshener or anything of that sort? it can affect your T's and yeah more info would be helpful

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Sorry to hear of your losses. Could use some more info like sizes, sexes, how they're kept, substrate, things of that nature.

Pretty sure there isn't any known tarantula diseases.

sure!

size
-Hmac, 4in

-avic, 3in

sex
-both confirmed females

enclosures
- both kept in 5 gallons turned on its side
- Hmac three vent holes with dryish substrate (use coco fiber)
- avic three vent holes plus drilled holles moist substrate (use coco fiber)
- temp 75 day 68 at night

Last edited:

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you have any other pets such as a dog or cat? If yes, do you give them a flea treatment, if so what kind? What are they fed?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Did you notice any symptoms such as moving its legs in a panic-like manner? How big are these 3 vent holes? :?

I recommend using bleach(Not too much) and water solution on the shelf the spiders were located, the cages and any decorations. Thats one way of being certain your not reintroducing a future pet to any contaminents. -Doug

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the info. Nothing really pops out as a possible cause. Any insecticides used in or around the home lately?

The flea treatment for other pets can possibly have a negative effect on T's. Talking with a vet about this a while back and her main concern was using the ones that make the fleas sterile. She thought it may be possible to interfere with the females ability to produce viable eggs. Underline "may be possible".

dks is nothing more than a label given to a set of symptoms a few tarantulas have exhibited prior to dying. Not all of them end up dead though.

Sorry can't help any more than I did.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Do you have any other pets such as a dog or cat? If yes, do you give them a flea treatment, if so what kind? What are they fed?
I have dogs but no fleas

i feed my T's B dubia

Did you notice any symptoms such as moving its legs in a panic-like manner? How big are these 3 vent holes?
no it was more like the legs began to stop functioning one by one, it was really wierd.

the vent holes are 2'' in diameter

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Sorry for loss :(
Did you by any chance reuse a spray bottle that was previously use for something else?

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have dogs but no fleas
Are they treated with anything such as oral medications or with flea or tick prevention soap?

i feed my T's B dubia
Do you make sure to wash all vegetation they are fed and are you making sure that any other food fed to them is safe?

no it was more like the legs began to stop functioning one by one, it was really wierd.
Definitely weird, i have nothing for that.

the vent holes are 2'' in diameter
They could be with too much ventilation, not too sure. This could be allowing poisons to enter the cages.

Upjohn252

Arachnopeon
Im curious as to how people water their spiders, as far as what kind of water is used. Tap water, bottled water or distilled? I personally use bottled water and I pour a small amount in one corner of the enclosure periodically to increase humidity. If tap water is used then as the water evaporates, all the dissolved metals, chemicals and halides (CL, F) present in that water will be left in the substrate, progressively getting more and more concentrated as time passes and more water is added. I am just trying to formulate a hypothesis as to why seemingly healthy T's are mysteriously expiring prematurely.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is very little which can or does infect tarantulas. The only culprit I would look at is possibly nematodes which were brought in via feeder crickets. Ruling that out, then you're looking at an exposure, unless you've missed something obvious like cold or extreme dehydration. I don't assume you've missed something like that, so I'd guess environmental exposure. Freezing in place is just odd, they usually death curl when they die as the internal pressure no longer holds the legs out stretched.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Are they treated with anything such as oral medications or with flea or tick prevention soap?

Do you make sure to wash all vegetation they are fed and are you making sure that any other food fed to them is safe?

They could be with too much ventilation, not too sure. This could be allowing poisons to enter the cages.
-my dogs havn't recieved any medication or flea treatment atleast not recently

-yep

-so do i move them temporarilly to something with less ventalation?

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would be more concerned with what is carried through the air in the room. what about around the house, inside or outside, are there any pesticides being sprayed by the neighbors?