Lost superworm in B. smithi enclosure = .......new pet, I guess?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
So about a month or so ago I had a superworm do a runner and dig way down into my B. smithi's substrate. Figured...let's see what happens. Well, tonight I checked on her and there was a new occupant...

20161206_221945.jpg

Say hello to my newest pet...Penderbrook St. Darkpants.

Are these guys dangerous to tarantulas at all? I'll probably just move it to a spare little enclosure I have. Not sure what they even eat though.

cold blood

Staff member
You're very lucky that your t didn't molt. That beetle would have munched it quick. You're very lucky that your "lets see what happens" didn't end very badly.

Before I lost my phone I had a pic send to me by someone concerned. See, they went to bed and their prize GBB was molting. In the am he excitedly looked in hopes of seeing a freshly molted and beautiful t, instead he saw a massacre. 2 beetles had emerged from supers he had fed many months earlier....often they remain dormant until a food source presents its self, and that's gonna be the t.

I'm not a big advocate of panic re-housing, but a lost superworm is a perfectly valid reason to re-house. Just crush their heads before feeding, its really that simple.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
thats why i dont use supers for arboreals, if they miss, its a pain to get out if at all.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
You're very lucky that your t didn't molt. That beetle would have munched it quick. You're very lucky that your "lets see what happens" didn't end very badly.

Before I lost my phone I had a pic send to me by someone concerned. See, they went to bed and their prize GBB was molting. In the am he excitedly looked in hopes of seeing a freshly molted and beautiful t, instead he saw a massacre. 2 beetles had emerged from supers he had fed many months earlier....often they remain dormant until a food source presents its self, and that's gonna be the t.

I'm not a big advocate of panic re-housing, but a lost superworm is a perfectly valid reason to re-house. Just crush their heads before feeding, its really that simple.
Good info, thanks. Looking back it was pretty stupid on my part.