Lost super worm

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
feeding a few of my t's last night and accidentally dropped a super into one while trying to crush the head. Of course it burrowed right down and I couldn't find it. This was in my recently molted t stirmis enclosure. There's 7 inches of pretty fresh jungle mix, springtails and pill bugs in there, so zero chance I'm digging it out or changing the sub anytime soon. How long does it take for the super to turn into a beetle? Do supers ever resurface? I always crushed the heads and never lost one in any other enclosure.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Well that depends on molt frequency of the T.. If it's a bigger one, you're probably in the clear.. The beetle will probably appear in a month or two.. The only issue here is that it might mold if it dies prior to that stage.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I always crush the heads of feeder roaches away from enclosure openings after having to chase one around my B.smithi enclosure. I got it but both she and I were not happy. Now I crush over the floor and drop it in.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Well that depends on molt frequency of the T.. If it's a bigger one, you're probably in the clear.. The beetle will probably appear in a month or two.. The only issue here is that it might mold if it dies prior to that stage.
Yeah she's over 10 inches and just molted. I do usually crush the heads away from the enclosure, but didn't this time. Oh well won't happen again. She eats so much I wouldn't b shocked if she ate the beetle when it surfaces.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Rittdk01 Given that she recently molted I would not be horrendously concerned. Most likely she will eat it if it gets near her since she will feel the vibrations under the substrate.

Keep an eye on it daily and if you see the beetle get it out of there in the event it decides to defy its own life and start trying to gnaw on your T. stirmi.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^ I will. I spend a lot of time with her enclosure every day, so I shouldn't miss it. My better half would tell u I spend waaaaay too much time with that spider :)