Lost our first T today.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Today our MM GBB, Ziggy, passed. Hubby's first T and my second. I've been expecting it for the last few days but seeing him curled today was like a punch to the gut.

My heart hurts. I might be only buying sexed females from now on, especially knowing I have at least three more boys that I will have to go through this with.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I hope he got to breed, I have the same worries! I buy only slings and I'm kinda new to the hobby so I have some years with the hopefully but here's to hoping they're all female which is really against the odds.

I'd be hurt if one of my first Ts turn out to be male and only had another year or so with me.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Sorry to hear your guy passed. Animals can only live as long as their lives will let them. He was lucky to have been well taken care of over the course of his.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Today our MM GBB, Ziggy, passed. Hubby's first T and my second. I've been expecting it for the last few days but seeing him curled today was like a punch to the gut.

My heart hurts. I might be only buying sexed females from now on, especially knowing I have at least three more boys that I will have to go through this with.
Best thing you can do with males, is try to find someone who has a female, either sell him or do a breeding loan, while there is always a chance he doesn't survive the process thats something thats happens in nature. The plus being that you can potentially own some slings that were from your deceased male. This lets your male live on in a new generation.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It's always difficult when a pet dies, no matter if it's an invert, rodent, reptile, fish, etc. I hate it when people say "Why are you so upset, it was only a ______?"

You gave him a great life. He could have spent it on wood chips and a heating pad, but he didn't because of you guys.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I'm sorry about your male GBB passing.However,it would have happened in its natural environment also.
Its just a thing that happens,and nothing we can do about it.
We keep our animals to the best of our ability,but the natural world wins out everytime.
Its tough,but nothing that was not decided millions of years ago.:sorry:

And don't pass on us guys,we have our place.

cold blood

Staff member

Sorry for the loss...I just lost a MM GBB recently....but that same night his replacement hit paydirt....so I didn't go to bed worrying about the dead one.
I might be only buying sexed females from now on, especially knowing I have at least three more boys that I will have to go through this with.
Ahhh, don't over-react:meh:...slings are great to raise and there's nothing wrong with a MM. Its a shorter life, but its still enjoyable to keep and raise. You should be happy that he was well kept and able to live as long as he did.:happy: I mean, he had a good home, an attentive owner, all the food he could eat....little dude had it made;)...celebrate his life, don't mourn his death:) And don't avoid males in the future...them boys need good homes, too. Just get the next one to a female:)

Bearded Brian

Arachnopeon
Ahh shiz! Never nice to see our little guys go, hope your all feeling better soon. You gave him a good life and looked after him,peace.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Thanks guys. By the time we realized the little guy was mature it was too late for him to be paired. We thought he had one more molt left and never saw his hooks.
It's just rough because he's my first T I've lost in the 8+ years I've been keeping. He lived a good life and was very loved.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Thanks guys. By the time we realized the little guy was mature it was too late for him to be paired. We thought he had one more molt left and never saw his hooks.
It's just rough because he's my first T I've lost in the 8+ years I've been keeping. He lived a good life and was very loved.
Losses hurt, I feel your pain, as I lost my female GBB a few weeks ago. It seems like 2017 is not a good year for GBB owners.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Yeah thats one of the things about fast growing species, its great seeing your spider shoot up in size so quickly especially with GBB when they start to show off the true colors. But theirs always a flip side to that coin and the males mature that much faster. Again though this is a great species to raise. Theres some species I just don't have the patience to raise as small slings, and there are some species that I enjoy raising and GBB is one of my favorite in that regard. I enjoy watching the babies grow up I just would rather not them mature at a slower rate then humans.