LOST OBT JUVENILE IN MY PORTLAND APARTMENT

Kaseyedwards9

Arachnopeon
I went on a trip and came home to find that my landlord upon doing inspection saw my obt on the ceiling above my bed... i am mortified i have kids... i dont know what to do but my apartment is rather small and full of things to hide in... HELP

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
So you didn't get evicted?

Do a sweep with a flash light at night. OBTs are versatile, so it could be anywhere. Look up high, look in hiding places, tear your kids' rooms apart in particular and keep your eyes open. Maybe put down a water dish, but don't hold your breath.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
That is a HUGE problem. They can be anywhere :O I would go room to room VERY carefully and take them apart, inch by inch. When done with one room, make sure it is blocked to where nothing can get in after you leave it. If you have any exits to the outside and you still can't find it after you tear your house apart, then there's not much you can do... Hope you find it. How did it escape though? Kind of crazy...

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
By the way, hiding places could mean shoes, blankets, curtains, cupboards, purses, clothes... A spider that size can fit pretty much anywhere.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
On the ceiling above your bed? Inspection? Who is your landlord, a drill sergeant? I mean, he inspected your apartment while you were away? I fail to understand this because here where I live I've never heard about something like that, sorry for asking.

Anyway, search, search, search, man. That's the only thing you can do. I know it's pretty Captain Obvious but.

I don't know if your room (or the room where you keep your OBT) is like mine, but if yes, there's literally millions of places/stuff where to hide.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
On the ceiling above your bed? Inspection? Who is your landlord, a drill sergeant? I mean, he inspected your apartment while you were away? I fail to understand this because here where I live I've never heard about something like that, sorry for asking..
It's common in the US. For my apartment, the landlord doesn't need to ask.

Put some towels/blankets/etc. on the floor. Anything you think a spider would like to hide under. Search during the night and tell your kids to be more careful walking around.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
maybe look for a place the kids could go to for a while? unless they are over 13 i wouldnt want them in a smallish apartment with a loose P murinus.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's common in the US. For my apartment, the landlord doesn't need to ask.
Christ, didn't know that. Without asking prior and even if you aren't home? Man, I'd love to imagine a surprise inspection in the wrong house, with a nice vintage de Sade themed room or one with human parts in the fridge, ah ah.

Last edited:

Kaseyedwards9

Arachnopeon
Gaaaaaaa! Should i take all my other friends and bug bomb the house? Theres piles of laundry that needs to be folded in litterally every room.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Gaaaaaaa! Should i take all my other friends and bug bomb the house? Theres piles of laundry that needs to be folded in litterally every room.
Not yet. Start with that laundry. Use this opportunity to clean up and look at the same time. Just be careful as you go.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Like Thistles said, IMO I wouldn't bomb the house as well. Btw how that happened, if I can ask? The enclosure wasn't closed well or else?

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I know it's scary and this is not a fun spider to be bitten by, but it isn't deadly to you or your kids and it won't be seeking you out. Check the kids' shoes and blankets for them and they should be fine. Don't panic and kill it without at least trying to find it first. It's not so tiny that it will be impossible to find. Just be thorough and methodical. I think you owe it that much.

Kaseyedwards9

Arachnopeon
He somehow made a hole in his lid... i just had him in a tuperwear for now it had a special fabric covering the airholes... i have never had an issue with these containers... i will get evicted if he is found creeping elsewhere.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I know it's scary and this is not a fun spider to be bitten by, but it isn't deadly to you or your kids and it won't be seeking you out. Check the kids' shoes and blankets for them and they should be fine. Don't panic and kill it without at least trying to find it first. It's not so tiny that it will be impossible to find. Just be thorough and methodical. I think you owe it that much.
I thought this species was dangerous to kids. I retract my statement and offer an apology. I'll be more careful in the future. My mom brain was going nuts.

Kaseyedwards9

Arachnopeon
I have torn apart the house 6x already and theres no sign of him aside from his absense from his terrarium...i sifted through it... and my landlords eyewitness acount... i have the shower on and the heater on in the bathroom...

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I thought this species was dangerous to kids. I retract my statement and offer an apology. I'll be more careful in the future. My mom brain was going nuts.
OBT's produce around 4mg of venom on average (I have the paper on my laptop, but I'm at a friends atm). Unless the OP has a newborn baby, he doesn't have anything to worry about in that regard.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Don't forget to (re)check inside wardrobe etc you never know, if I'm not wrong a man here just not some time ago founded his on the loose OBT inside (or near?) a backpack where the bugger even webbed.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Unless the OP has a newborn baby, he doesn't have anything to worry about in that regard.
Sure, aside (and I hope not, of course, not to that scenario) to a race to the E.R, like happened (according to the bite reports available even here) to supposed healthy mans in their 30/40, after being bitten by those. I don't want to start an argument with you, man, now... nor to instill fear into OP, but let's be honest, P.murinus bites are pretty bad.