Lost my first today.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Today I lost a good spider. His name was Link, his sac partner (assumed) was Zelda.

I got them about 5 months ago from the horrible dealer known as Backwater (was still new, didn't know about them at the time).

He was an A. avic, however I suspect he and his sac-mate are actually A. metallicas or at the very least a hobby mix, they have no red setae on their abdomen at about 3 inches, more than large enough to show adult coloration.

While much more skittish than his sister, he was a great spider. First tarantula I ever handled, first arboreal that ever jumped off of me. Compared to his sister, he was a great eater, and would chase crickets around his cork bark. He even got a hornworm because I felt he wasn't growing as fast as his sister was.

Unfortunately, in the last couple of days he tried to molt for the first time in my care. I was gone for the last two days, spending a day at my gf's and a day at work. He did it in the corner of his enclosure without turning over, and I believe he got his legs stuck in his own hammock, as the exuviae was popped off his carapace and abdomen but none of his legs made it out. When I came home from work today, as far as I can tell without disturbing him greatly, he has expired. There is no movement, only stillness.

Regardless of what happened, he will always be remembered as one of my first Ts.
Cheers, arachnophiles.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I'd say leave thr spider alone until tomorrow. If it still hasnt molted by tomorrow then you'll know he didnt make it... but molting is a lot of work for a tarantula and he could be resting for a bit before finishing molting?

Sin

Arachnopeon
I agree with N1ghtFire, leave him alone and hopefully he'll make it out of there. Sometimes ts can take a little while to molt.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
I'll give it a shot, but I've had a few molts, and I've never seen somebody stay this still, especially after 2 days. Here's hoping...

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Id say,until you get a smell of putrification,(you will know)give it a day or two.
Never say never.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I'm hoping for the best for you and Link. Hopefully the little guy pulls through.

Those are some of my favorite Nintendo games btw.